Why FreeNAS8 does not upgrade to FreeBSD9-RC3 (or later stable)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenny

Cadet
I am at a dilemma between Freenas8.0.x and Freenas0.7.5:

1) The benefits of Freenas8.0.x is it is based on NanoBSD and has two very important features: Thin Provisioning and Remote Replication.

2) The benefit of Freenas0.7.5 is that it is upgraded to FreeBSD9-RC3 which supports resource allocation to jails. I have no idea Thin Provisioning and Remote Replication are features with 0.7.5?! If yes, give me a hint.

Since I need Thin Provisioning, Remote Replication and Resource Allocation to jails, I am divided between two.

I was just wondering why don't the Freenas8.0.x upgrade to the FreeBSD9-RC3 which (I meant 9-STABLE) will soon be released? I think nanobsd approach is same in 9 as in 8, right?

Thanks!

*z

----
Get the first BSD-style licensed video: http://bit.ly/uGO52T

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
FreeNAS is not going to move to FreeBSD 9 so soon, there are tons of things to change and test before doing so.
When that happens it will be FreeNAS 9.0, not 8 ;)

zenny

Cadet
Does that mean Freenas 9 will not be compatible with Freenas 8? I meant similar to Freenas7 is not compatible with 8, right?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No, it just means freenas9 will be based off freebsd9... One with freenas8 will be able to upgrade to freenas9, when the time comes, ofc

Status
Not open for further replies.