Why are files missing after mounting the discs from earlier version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaddict44

Cadet
Going from v7.x to v8.3.1

Storage set up 'normally' and I got the CIFS shares working for the 8 drives in the NAS box. However, it seems that some of the previous data has "disappeared" - the disk status shows that space is being used on the discs, I just can't see it...

Now this is nothing fancy - no RAID setup - just 7 discs in the Box. They were formatted UFS in the previous Box. I was able to mount them all via CIFS and can see them from Windows pc's - still the missing (gazillion) files that I intuitively know are still there, just hiding out.

Any ideas how I can get my lost data back?

Thanks,

-greg

panz

Guru
Did you try to open a command line and ls those directories?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You might want to try the NAS4Free forums. They are the official successors to the FreeNAS7 project.

pcaddict44

Cadet
Did you try to open a command line and ls those directories?

Please I beg your forgiveness for not being a "Unix-Head" - I've been mucking about with various distros. of Linux and I think the 'ls' command is a list-files thingie...What's frustrating is that I had tons of stuff on about 9tb of drives on the "old version of FreeNas" and now with 8.x I've lost a heck of a lot of stuff....
Ok, enuff drivel......if/when I see the "missing" files via 'ls' what would you suggest I do? Is there a 'copy' or 'move' command line thing that will allow me to handle this?
With humble thanks, -greg

panz

Guru
If files are still there, you simply rsync them to another location, rebuild your "main" array and restore the whole thing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.