Which tests should i run on new hard drives to discard defective ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

userwords

Cadet
Got some drives and also a few seagate backup plus portable 4tb ones among them. I also want to resell some i have. I want to stay sure all drives are defective free as much as i can, before trusting those any data, or selling others. How can you fully scan and then burn in test (to discover any damage that may show only under stress and not in idle) each drive to be sure each one is 100% flawless.

Note the order of each test with each software or tool recommended, in case it is better to do one before the other (like maybe first stress tests then the surface scanning ones, or whatever).

Also whats your opinion on seatools, 2 drives have failed short generic test for the moment.

danb35

Hall of Famer

userwords

Cadet
Ive tried seatools and i have no idea what is going but of 5 units tested on short generic test 3 of them fail to pass the test, the other 2 get stuck on the second part of the same test called zone scan at 0% for an hour without going any further.

Ive tried all my pc ports on the back (the mobo ones) also my ports are all usb 2, while the drives are usb 3 but supossedly compatible with usb 2. I have no usb 3 to test for the moment. I would find gruesome that of 5units all were defective. Thats sounds absurd.

Ive tried looking for a seagate mail to ask, but got nothing, only self service docs, and a process to start a return. Any idea. Is this a fake fail caused by the usb. If thats the case is there anyway to rule out any supposed defects using another test that if it works and pass fine would warranty those units are fully functional.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Status
Not open for further replies.