Which drives are striped and which are mirrored?

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
Hi! I have a 6TB pool that consists of 4x 3TB drives. It is 2 vdevs striped with each vdev consisting of 2 mirrored drives. Is there a way to determine which 2 drives make up the 6TB pool and which 2 drives are the mirror(s). I suppose I could disconnect 1 pair of drives and see how the pool degrades?

Dice

Wizard
Go to the console and provide the output of the following command:
Code:
zpool status

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
Thank you for your very prompt reply! Actually, pool status in the GUI tells me!

Capture.JPG

Then I can edit each disk to see it's serial number and get my drives labelled and arranged in order in the case!

Thanks! I had not thought of the status screen.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a way to determine which 2 drives make up the 6TB pool and which 2 drives are the mirror(s).
You've sort of found your answer, but I think you may have a misunderstanding about how ZFS works in this regard. Your pool consists of two mirrors, which are striped together. It isn't two stripes, one as a mirror of the other.

I'm also wondering where ada1 is, but that's a separate issue.

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
It is my understanding that each vdev has two physical drives in it. Those 2 drives are mirrors of each other. The pool is striped across the two vdevs. If the 2 drives in the same vdev fail simultaneously then I lose the entire pool. But one drive in each vdev could fail simultaneously and I would still have a mirror intact. Is that correct?

ADA1 is an SSD that I am currently running VMs from.

sretalla