Which Driver for UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindowMaker

Cadet
Hi all, Ive just gotten an APC BX1000G-ca UPS. I would like to set it up to shut down my FreeNas, but I am not sure which driver to use.
Thanks for any advice!
E

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unless someone has your model, my recommendation is to try every driver listed that supports APC, and start with drivers that share very similar models. It's really hit and miss unless your model lists an exact driver.

Stephens

Patron
Be aware there's a GUI "feature" where after you select a given UPS and save your selection, the GUI will show a different UPS (the first in the list). Don't worry, your selection has been saved. But there's no way to tell from the GUI what's currently selected.

http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

technoholic

Dabbler
I see the UPS configuration panel but am not familiar with the port designations. When running FreeNAS 8.3. what is the proper selection from the port pull down list if the UPS is connected to the motherboard serial port?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no answer to your question that can be provided by the forum.. The correct answer is whichever port you are using. You're the only one that knows the answer.

JaimieV

Guru
Unfortunately he won't know the answer - there's no obvious relation between the device names and the physical ports.

With mine (see thread nearby) I simply tried all of the eight or so USB ports in the dropdown until I found that only one showed UPS-related messages in the console (easiest if you turn on the console display in the GUI).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unfortunately he won't know the answer - there's no obvious relation between the device names and the physical ports.

With mine (see thread nearby) I simply tried all of the eight or so USB ports in the dropdown until I found that only one showed UPS-related messages in the console (easiest if you turn on the console display in the GUI).

That's odd. I must have been lucky with my setup. I chose the top left and I believe it was the first USB on the list. I can't SSH to be sure, but I remember I was able to guess right the first time.

Stephens

Patron
Unfortunately he won't know the answer - there's no obvious relation between the device names and the physical ports. With mine (see thread nearby) I simply tried all of the eight or so USB ports in the dropdown until I found that only one showed UPS-related messages in the console (easiest if you turn on the console display in the GUI).

You go to the shell, then plug in the UPS to the USB port. FreeBSD/FreeNAS then notifies you of which port you just plugged into. Then you go into FreeNAS and that's the port you select.

technoholic

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies and I can see how a USB attach would work but what if the UPS is serial port attached? Are you implying that serial communication is not supported?
Guess I wasn't clear with the question. Let me try again. I have a UPS that uses serial port communication to the host computer. Configuring the UPS service with the GUI gives these choices for the port: Untitled.jpg which one designates the serial port?

JaimieV

Guru
You go to the shell, then plug in the UPS to the USB port. FreeBSD/FreeNAS then notifies you of which port you just plugged into.

It does? Where? Perhaps I just missed the obvious!

Edit: Indeed, I did - twice, once at the console and once two posts up from here! Sorry.

technoholic

Dabbler
OK thought I did but needed to RTFM again. Page 209 of the 8.3 guide:
list of available serial (e.g. /dev/cuau#) or USB ports (e.g.
/dev/ugen.X.X) UPS is plugged into

duh

Status
Not open for further replies.