Where to get Enterprise SSDs in Germany/Europe?

thomas-hn

Explorer
Hello,

do you guys know some good online shops for getting (used) enterprise SSDs in Germany or other shops in other European countries that ship to Germany?
Where do you buy your enterprise SSDs?
Is there a shop which also mentions how much data was already written to a SSD?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

Davvo

MVP

thomas-hn

Explorer
Used enterprise SSDs? Hard catch I believe.
Isn't it the standard comment here in the forum that private users should go with enterprise SSDs and because of the pricing with used enterprise models? So, there should be possibilities, right?

NugentS

MVP
I use ebay - of course you have to know what you are looking for and set up searches for the right models.

Davvo

MVP
Isn't it the standard comment here in the forum that private users should go with enterprise SSDs and because of the pricing with used enterprise models? So, there should be possibilities, right?
It's true that the standard is to go with used hardware, but in regard to SSDs it's harder than other components to go that route.

asap2go

Patron
Mindfactory is usually a good supplier for germany. I only had good experiences with them and you get legit hardware. The prices for enterprise SSDs are high though. I don't see any advantage for regular home use over a consumer TLC model.

Etorix

Wizard
Isn't it the standard comment here in the forum that private users should go with enterprise SSDs
I don't think this is a "standard comment", if only because most people use HDDs rather than SSDs for bulk storage.
New enterprise SSDs would come from your usual online retailers.
Used enterprise SSDs may be found on eBay (mostly from China), and occasionally in local small ads or the ServeTheHome forum. For "online shops", I'm afraid you will have to find local refurbishers.
In the Netherlands, I would go to ServerZaak.nl or to JJCP Trading (whose listings are actually best found in the small ads section of Tweakers.net).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, I've been keeping my eyes open for deals on used SSDs, but there's not much out there at genuinely good prices. I wouldn't mind picking up a box of smallish SATA/SAS SSDs for boot drive usage, but it has to be worth the hassle over just buying a bunch of new SATA SSDs.

NugentS

MVP
Could you mention some preferred sellers?
I cannot - I don't have any.
I have bought from (fairly recently)
A lot of the enterprise drives available are read-intensive - which are less useful to me, albeit they still have a fairly good endurance. However I tend to look for mixed-mode or write intensive drives which are more expensive per GB.

Enterprise drives tend to me either "Read Intensive", "Mixed Mode" or "Write intensive". With the Intel DC S3xxx series this was:
  • S35xx - 1 DWPD
  • S36xx - I think 5 DWPD, might have been 3
  • S37xx - 10 DWPD
Other manufacturers vary.

I use 6*Intel DC S3610 (1.6TB) in a 3vdev mirror pool for VM Storage - works very well.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I had good dealings with Tonitrus - reseller of new and referbished server and network gear. I don't know if they offer SSDs.