SOLVED New 4TB WD Red Plus - Disk Type Unknown

Mathes92

Cadet
Hi all!

I recently built my first NAS Server. I spent a lot of time reading the hardware recommendations and guidelines and ended up with the following system:
  • Housing: Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B2
  • MB: Supermicro X11SCL-IF
  • CPU: Core I3 8300 4x 3.7 GHz
  • RAM: 2x16 GB ECC DDR4 - 2666 VLP EUDIMM Micron MTA18ADF2G72AZ - 2G6E1
  • Storage: 4 x 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40ERFX
  • OS (TrueNas) Disk: 128 GB SSD Patriot P300 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x2 (NVMe)
Unfortunately, I noticed something weird about my disks. Two out of four are displayed as Unknown at the parameter disk type, see overview.png.
Before runing a long test smartctl -t long /dev/ I shortly had a look into: smartctl -a /dev/ada0 to ada3.
The result showed that the disks with disk type Unknown also lack the information:
- Rotation Rate
- Form Factor
- Sata version is
, see images ada0_shell_SMART.png, ada1_shell_SMART.png, ada2_shell_SMART.png and ada3_shell_SMART.png.

I found a thread - WD40EFRX drive turned Unknown - where this issue was mentioned once with used disks, but there was only one reply and it seems as if the thread creator saw the solution by replacing this type of HDD. In my case these are new disks. Is there a possibility to get this fixed? By a firmware update or something like that? Or should I just try to send these disks back to the vendor?
Interestingly, only the two disks (ada0 & ada2) ordered via eBay show this issue. The other two disks (ada1 & ada3) bought at local stores here in germany are just fine. I had to order them via eBay because at that time many shops limited the amount you were allowed to buy...

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• ada0_shell_SMART.PNG
    ada0_shell_SMART.PNG
    45.3 KB · Views: 190
  • ada1_shell_SMART.PNG
    ada1_shell_SMART.PNG
    65.6 KB · Views: 214
  • ada2_shell_SMART.PNG
    ada2_shell_SMART.PNG
    47.4 KB · Views: 169
  • ada3_shell_SMART.PNG
    ada3_shell_SMART.PNG
    59.2 KB · Views: 190
  • overview.PNG
    overview.PNG
    150.4 KB · Views: 186

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The 2 unknown disks may be pre-production samples that somehow got out in the wild. Note the firmware version of 00.02C.5, whereas the good disks have firmware version 82.00A82. They also don't have a world-wide name set, nor share the same ATA capabilities (ATA8-ACS or none, vs. ACS-3). I would return them for refund if possible.

Mathes92

Cadet
The 2 unknown disks may be pre-production samples that somehow got out in the wild. Note the firmware version of 00.02C.5, whereas the good disks have firmware version 82.00A82. They also don't have a world-wide name set, nor share the same ATA capabilities (ATA8-ACS or none, vs. ACS-3). I would return them for refund if possible.

Thank you! I replaced the two disks - works fine now. Unfotunately, without getting any of my money back. Maybe I can contact the WD support directly... I'll give it a try. And sorry for my late reply! I can continue my project only little time by time.

This post can be closed with positive outcome :smile: