SOLVED Disk Type: UNKOWN

revengineer

Contributor
Hi,
I added 6 Seagate Ironwolfs 8 TB drives to my FreeNAS server. All disks are the same model and the first four letters/digits of the serial number are identical. All drives completed burn-in with badblocks and smart tests without errors. However, under Storage->Disks, one of these drives shows "Disk Type: UNKNOWN" (see attached screenshot). smartctl retrieves these data just fine. Is there a way to force refresh of this information?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-16 172420.png
    Annotation 2020-06-16 172420.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 473

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Could you provide some more details about your setup? Usually, these drives appear as ada6, unless they're attached via a USB adapter, or an HBA, or via multipath, in which case, they appear as da6.

revengineer

Contributor
Of course: I have a Supermicro X9Dri-F motherboard and an LSI 9210-8i HBA flashed to IT mode. The HBA is connect to a Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane. This and the other drives are connected to the backplane. The drive in question is /dev/da6, the other drives are /dev/daX, where X are other numbers. I also have 3 SSDs connected inside the box to SATA ports.

Samuel Tai

This is probably cosmetic, and may get fixed on reboot. This field is filled out to either UNKNOWN/HDD/SSD based on /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/disk.py, lines 928-947, based on what SMART detects for the drive rotation rate parameter. If SMART is disabled for this backplane port, then this parameter won't get fed back up to this routine.

Also, you may need to enable SMART in the edit screen for this disk.

1592347318074.png

revengineer

Contributor
I have checked that smart is enabled for the drive in the GUI. I still have a long smart check running on /dev/da7, so I cannot attempt the reboot until tomorrow morning. If you can point me to where the smart setting for the backplane port is controlled that would be helpful. Thank you so much helping.

Samuel Tai

If you can point me to where the smart setting for the backplane port is controlled that would be helpful.

Is there a BIOS key sequence for the HBA?

revengineer

Contributor
Yes, I will check this tomorrow after the last smartcheck is complete. I will first try a simple reboot. Then dive into the HBA smart setting. I can poll smart data including the data missing in the GUI using "smartctl -a /dev/da6" so I assume smart is enabled in the HBA. Let's hope the reboot will provide the trivial solution. I will post the result here.

Samuel Tai

You can also try moving the drive to another port, to see if the problem follows the drive or is specific to that port.

revengineer

Contributor
Indeed good suggestion, will put that on the list too.

revengineer

Contributor
To close the loop: Reboot solved the issue. It must have been a small bug possibly related to the fact that the priot boot was the very first time the disk was used.