Where is my NIC on Console Setup Menu?

JackOfAllIIT

Cadet
Hi,
I have multiple installations of TrueNAS-Core 11 and 12 and multiple TrueNAS-Scale(22.12.3) installations.
All of them got either an IP over DHCP or I could configure the static IP from the console of the server.
But I recently learned I should be using TrueNAS Core instead of Scale for my use case so I reinstalled Core on my server.
When I hit 1 on the console there is nothing listed. When I go to the shell there is only the loopback interface.
I also noticed there is no 'netif" service running and I had to enable it and restart it. That didn't help my NIC show up though.

This is the same hardware that had just run Scale with no problems and showed my NIC and now with Core there is no NIC showing.

My hardware is a Cisco UCS C240M4 with a dual 10Gb interface.

How can I get my NIC to show up?

Thanks,

Bryan

Attachments

• ConsoleSetup-MissingNIC1.png
    ConsoleSetup-MissingNIC1.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 84

JackOfAllIIT

Cadet
I thought I mentioned this, but it doesn't look like I did. All my hardware on all my installations is the exact same Cisco UCS C240 rack servers and all the NICs show up on TrueNAS 11 and 12.
Thanks.

Arwen

MVP
You might list the exact model of the network interface chip and it's manufacturer.

I don't have any suggestions but someone else might, and may need that information.

JackOfAllIIT

Cadet
Hi Arwen,
Thanks for the suggestion. The NIC is a mLOM 1227, with a Cisco part ID of UCSC-MLOM-CSC-02.
I'm downloading FreeBSD 13.2 right now, and I'm going to install it on the same server and see if it sees the NICs. If it does or doesn't, that might help.

as a side question, Is there a way to edit posts, or only to respond?

If anyone else has some suggestions, I'm all ears.

Arwen

MVP
Yes, you can edit your posts. But, it is probably after you have more than a few posts. I don't know the threshold.

Looks like the version of FreeBSD 13 in TrueNAS Core does not support the Cisco NIC. But your test of FreeBSD 13.2 is a good path forward. If you do find a version of FreeBSD 13 that does support your Cisco NIC, then you might file a feature request. See the "Report a Bug" at the top of the forum pages. Won't be fast, but can help others in the future.

I suspect that Cisco made sure that this NIC was supported by Linux, because they would likely consider Linux, (like MS-Windows), as something needed for selling the servers. I know I like the Cisco UCS 240 rack servers we have at work, (running RHEL).

JackOfAllIIT

Cadet
Hi Arwen,
Thanks for responding. That's great insight you were able to find out about the Cisco NIC. We're struggling installing FreeBSD13 on our server. The installer is not as straight forward as I expected, it keeps getting stuck in a loop and then I was out of town for a week so we're going to try again.
And you are right, I was with Cisco and worked with driver/hardware team that decided what OS to support and RHEL/Debian was a top priority OS and I've run 10,000 servers with these NICs running Linux for Hadoop, so I know it works well. Hopefully I can find a driver for FreeBSD and get it working.
Thanks.