Where are the system logs for TN core 13 in the webui? I asked chatGPT

jackdinn

Contributor
I already have ssh access and know where the logs i want are, but I did want to look for the system logs that i kept seeing mentioned in various posts.
I could not for the life of me find them.
I was specifically looking for the auth.log

I decided to ask chatGPT and it was also very confused.
Fred Dead

going back to you previous but one post, you said "navigating to "Status" > "System Logs"" in truenas 13 i do not see any "Status" where exactly is that

I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. The "Status" tab is no longer present in TrueNAS version 13. To view the logs in TrueNAS version 13, you can go to the "Diagnostics" menu and then select "System Logs". The logs will show information such as successful and failed login attempts, as well as any system messages related to authentication.

where is the diagnostics menu?

The "Diagnostics" menu in TrueNAS version 13 can be accessed through the web interface. To access the menu, you need to log into the TrueNAS web interface and look for the "Diagnostics" option in the top navigation bar. Once you click on "Diagnostics", you should be able to find the "System Logs" option, which will allow you to view the logs for access attempts and other system-related events.

i can not see any "diagnostics menu" anywhere

I apologize for the confusion. In TrueNAS version 13, the "Diagnostics" menu has been renamed to "Support". To access the logs in TrueNAS version 13, you can go to the "Support" menu and then select "System Logs". The logs will show information such as successful and failed login attempts, as well as any system messages related to authentication.
To access the "Support" menu, log into the TrueNAS web interface and look for the "Support" option in the top navigation bar. You should be able to find this option near the other main menus such as "Dashboard" and "Storage".

there is no "support" in the top bar

I apologize for the mistake. In TrueNAS version 13, the "System Logs" can be found under the "Advanced" menu in the top navigation bar.
To access the "System Logs", log into the TrueNAS web interface and look for the "Advanced" option in the top navigation bar. Once you click on "Advanced", you should be able to find the "System Logs" option, which will allow you to view the logs for access attempts and other system-related events.

the is no advanced in the top navigation bar

I apologize for the confusion. In TrueNAS version 13, the "System Logs" can be found under the "Tasks" menu in the top navigation bar.
To access the "System Logs", log into the TrueNAS web interface and look for the "Tasks" option in the top navigation bar. Once you click on "Tasks", you should be able to find the "System Logs" option in the dropdown menu, which will allow you to view the logs for access attempts and other system-related events.

I got board at that point, some please tell me where i can access the logs (user access logs in this case (auth.log)) from within the webui other than through the inbuilt shell ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Under System->Advanced is an option to Show Console Messages, which creates an area at the bottom of the UI where tail -f /var/log/messages output can scroll in real time. This is the extent of viewing logs in the UI. As a server, the expectation is logs will get exported off-box to a central collection point.

jackdinn

Contributor
Under System->Advanced is an option to Show Console Messages, which creates an area at the bottom of the UI where tail -f /var/log/messages output can scroll in real time. This is the extent of viewing logs in the UI. As a server, the expectation is logs will get exported off-box to a central collection point.
Hi, yes, i have seen the live "ticker bar" thing at the bottom, it would only show 1 line at a time as far as i could tell. But i don't think this was what chatGPT was referring to. Has this functionality of an older version of truenas webui been removed ?

sretalla