Whats the difference between iocage plugin pkg txz and freebsd pkg txz

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdt

Explorer
Hi All,

So I recently created a couple of iocage based jails on my 11.1-u6 install (after plenty of testing on 11.2 Beta3 to get my head around iocage).

When I created the iocage 11.1-u6 install I decided to create base jails and use the pkg command to install what I needed. My reasoning was because the plex version under pkg.freebsd.org was more upto date than the pkg.cdn.trueos.org at the time.

I noticed recently that the trueos pkg plugin was updated recently, looked like the same txz file based on the name as what I used with the pkg command. Whats interesting is the checksum is different when I downloaded them manually and compared them.

http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/All/plexmediaserver-1.13.8.5395.txz

and

http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/iocage/unstable/All/plexmediaserver-1.13.8.5395.txz

Does anyone know why the 2 txz files despite the same version/build in the name have different checksums ?

Thanks,

Craig

m0nkey_

MVP
TrueOS is pretty much a distribution of FreeBSD. TrueOS is developed by iXSystems, the same people who develop FreeNAS.

TrueOS pretty much has it's own repository, but all packages are built by iXSystems instead of using the packages within the FreeBSD repository.

craigdt

Explorer
TrueOS is pretty much a distribution of FreeBSD. TrueOS is developed by iXSystems, the same people who develop FreeNAS.

TrueOS pretty much has it's own repository, but all packages are built by iXSystems instead of using the packages within the FreeBSD repository.

Thanks for the explanation, I actually downloaded the 2 packages and extracted the contents of them, it looks like the iXSystem are building it against 11.2 of FreeBSD and the FreeBSD repository is building against 11.1 from what I can see.

m0nkey_

MVP
Thanks for the explanation, I actually downloaded the 2 packages and extracted the contents of them, it looks like the iXSystem are building it against 11.2 of FreeBSD and the FreeBSD repository is building against 11.1 from what I can see.
Correct. FreeBSD 11.1 has only just entered EOL. All FreeBSD packages will eventually be rebuilt for FreeBSD 11.2, but since the 11.1 packages work on 11.2, there is no rush to rebuild all packages in the quarterly repository.

craigdt

Explorer
Correct. FreeBSD 11.1 has only just entered EOL. All FreeBSD packages will eventually be rebuilt for FreeBSD 11.2, but since the 11.1 packages are backwards compatible, there is no rush to rebuild all packages in the quarterly repository.

I was thinking that, even though I actually changed it to point the the latest repository because I wanted the newest version of plex ;), the quarterly repository had a very old version of plex in it even though I read that quarterly is the safest one to point to. Can't remember where I read that...

m0nkey_

MVP
I was thinking that, even though I actually changed it to point the the latest repository because I wanted the newest version of plex ;), the quarterly repository had a very old version of plex in it even though I read that quarterly is the safest one to point to. Can't remember where I read that...
FreeBSD Ports are your friend in that case ;) Or you can switch to using latest for your packages. You'll need to update /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf and change quarterly to latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.