Losing my mind - pkg depends on jailname?

Yorick

Wizard
So I was going to do a video about using @danb35 's plex install script. And, after some changes (interface name bad in 11.3), it sorta worked - only plexmediaserver would never install.

More changes, more changes, and I am now at a point that makes no sense at all. I can reliably reproduce the following behavior.

Create a jail named 'plex'. pkg won't install, complains it can't find pkg:

Code:
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest, please wait...
pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/Latest/pkg.txz: Connection reset by peer
A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.
Command: pkg install plexmediaserver failed!
Failed to install plexmediaserver package

Try the exact same thing on a jail named 'lex'. And everything works fine:

Code:
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest, please wait...
Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
[lex] Installing pkg-1.13.2...
[lex] Extracting pkg-1.13.2: 100%
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[lex] Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
[lex] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB  97.1kB/s    01:07
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 31560 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Updating database digests format: 100%
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        plexmediaserver: 1.18.9.2578

Number of packages to be installed: 1

The process will require 367 MiB more space.
96 MiB to be downloaded.
[lex] [1/1] Fetching plexmediaserver-1.18.9.2578.txz: 100%   96 MiB   1.3MB/s    01:17
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[lex] [1/1] Installing plexmediaserver-1.18.9.2578...

No, I don't have another jail named plex. I had one called plex-old and one called Plex-Transcode, and I've now renamed them both out of sheer paranoia. And I can repeat this behavior - try it with a "plex" jail it fails; try it with a "lex" jail it succeeds.

root@freenas[~/freenas-iocage-plex]# iocage list
+-----+------+-------+--------------+------------------+
| JID | NAME | STATE | RELEASE | IP4 |
+=====+======+=======+==============+==================+
| 1 | LMS | up | 11.3-RELEASE | DHCP |
| 66 | PMS | up | 11.3-RELEASE | DHCP |
| 55 | hex | up | 11.3-RELEASE | DHCP |
| 72 | lex | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.3.129/24 |

If it was 4/1 I'd say FreeNAS is playing an April Fool's on me, but it's 4/4. This. Makes. No. Sense.

What gives? Any ideas, things I can track down?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I thought @danb35 script created the jail automatically as part of the install process.

Yorick

Wizard
It does. Named plex. And then it fails. If I name it anything else - lex, pms, what have you - it works. Confirmed using the script, and using a manual create. As I say, I'm losing my mind over here.

I gave danb a PR to work around that, and a couple other changes, some more flavor than others. https://github.com/thorsteneb/freenas-iocage-plex

I cannot reproduce this. I suspect there's something with your network...

Renaming a jail in FreeNAS 11.3 does not change the hostname. Could it be that you have a host-file out there or setting in your dns server that assigns "plex" to a fixed IP address and your new plex jail conflicts with another instance?

Yorick

Wizard
Thank you @Jurgen Segaert . That was it. Now, it's not a host file or a dns setting. I use public DNS, I don't have anything local going. FreeNAS, as well, cannot resolve the name "plex".

And, when two jails with the same hostname are running, I have issues. That might be due to my gateway, or it might be due to FreeNAS.

What I was testing is the use case where a user has an old plugin named "plex" and want's to use @danb35 's script to create a Plex jail, then move the metadata over. This is definitely one of the more common use cases for that script.

In my testing, if I shut down the plugin version of plex, renamed to plex-old and still with hostname plex, then a jail named plex with hostname plex can communicate; if plex-old is running, pkg will fail.

@danb35, in light of that, I feel good about changing the default name in the PR I gave you. The Plex plugin was named "plex" by default for a long time, and if there's a chance of creating a conflict, it's easier to change the name your script uses. "pms" is a suggestion, anything will do.

I'll do one more test, which is changing the hostname of the plex-old jail. If this theory holds, then that should resolve the issue as well. Edit: rc.conf and hosts inside the old jail aren't sufficient to resolve the issue. Stopping the old jail is.

Man, that was bizarre. I spent hours today trying to figure out what was going on.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You are from Germany, right? Fritzbox (most common CPE device here) will create a DNS entry for every new device (or jail, vm, whatever) registering via DHCP ...

HTH,
Patrick

Yorick

Wizard
Born in Germany, live in the US. My gateway is a Fortigate. It’s entirely possible it does something on-box for hostnames that goes haywire when the same host name is seen twice, once via DHCP and once not.