what you can do with freenas ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

avchd

Cadet
hello everyone, I'm a big fan of computer and electronics, usually use an nos entry level of Synology, but with no open source sw and bound by the lords of Synology.
I assume that with freenas things are very different for a project sharing mode 'open source.
my hw and 'the following I purchased a motherboard asrock j1900dc format mini itx a real gem
a little more 'than 100 euro also supplied DC 9 to 19 volts consumes very little does not heat at all and has no fan and' well capable of playing full HD video streams without problems .
the motherboard in question supports wake on lan and wake on wan to switch on and off remote.
then I have a rasperry more but I think in this case it is impossible installarci inside a freenas, hope I am wrong.
coming free nas I'd use a little 'how to use the Synology Remote file sharing video surveillance and also controllable by Android app or managed by the web.
Now I look forward to your answers like.
sorry about my english help my about google translate ;-)
many thanks avchd

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The j1900 does not support ECC memory. Freenas requires 8GB ECC memory. Since you already purchased the motherboard, I recommend using a different OS.

As far as what freenas does, it does all the things.

avchd

Cadet
The j1900 does not support ECC memory. Freenas requires 8GB ECC memory. Since you already purchased the motherboard, I recommend using a different OS.

As far as what freenas does, it does all the things.

thanks anodos i think freenas for all computer i see who computer don't use ecc memory not work i think this a big limitation for a lot people.
bye avchd

Gonzalo

Patron
If you want to use FreeNAS, you need to be aware of the minimum requirement. FreeNAS is not intended to be used on desktop grade computers. This is the reason why the OS uses a file system that requires ECC memory (a lot has been discussed here). Of course you can use the hardware you already have but at the risk of losing all your data and not getting help here.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
thanks anodos i think freenas for all computer i see who computer don't use ecc memory not work i think this a big limitation for a lot people.

Yes, it's a tragic shame that PC manufacturers cut costs in order to give users the cheapest piece of $#!+ that they could possibly pass off as a "computer." Being unable to trust the integrity of your computing platform sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.