What is the typical LAN speed on this TrueNAS software.

Dmitchell

Cadet
A new question. What is the typical LAN speed on this TrueNAS software. I have 100mb but was hoping to increase to 1gig on my LAN. Only using 1 computer and the NAS computer.

danb35

Hall of Famer
A new question.
Really should be in a new thread, in an appropriate subforum with an appropriate title.
TrueNAS itself will handle whatever your network will--I'd suspect by far the most common network speed would be 1 Gbit/sec.
I have 100mb
Are you quite sure? Gigabit network equipment has been the norm for decades at this point.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Typical LAN speeds are 1Gbps, by far and away the most common speed, followed at some distance by 10Gbps, see the following article,

which will help you build a fast and inexpensive 10 gig network. Beyond that, there's a smattering of 2.5Gbps, 40Gbps, 25Gbps, 100Gbps, and even 100Mbps. Not all of these are using well supported hardware and so you may not actually get the expected speeds. Using recommended hardware and following the tuning advice in the Resources section will typically land you at 90%+ of the theoretical speed for most setups.

Really should be in a new thread, in an appropriate subforum with an appropriate title.

Yeah, I moved it.

Gigabit network equipment has been the norm for decades at this point.

Wow, that's a close shave for that 's', danb35. Commodity 1G gear really only came into play in the 2003-2004 timeframe; if we were to pick nits, that would only be 19-20 years, so your 's' on decades is dubious at best. There was clearly 1G hardware before that point, such as the Dell 5012 (2001 era IIRC) and other larger chassis switches, but at a price point north of $100 a port, it's hard to refer to that as widely used/widely available. :smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
so your 's' on decades is dubious at best
Well, two still counts as plural, but agreed it's pretty close. Though I think the point is still valid--gigabit networking has been the norm for a relative eternity in "computer years."

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Two counts as plural but one point nine does not.