What is the best HTPC configuration in addition to a FreeNAS NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

senior_hombre

Explorer
Hi,
so i am about to finish my first FreeNAS pc (i am building by myself) using some dedicated hardware (typical nas server hardware, lots of ram but virtually no graphic card).
The NAS has its only purpose as to act as a network data storage.
But now, as i am nearing the end of my project i am wondering about the next step. I want a HTPC for my home network too (for streaming media files and/or directly putting a TV on the HDMI output), are there any typical configurations i can rely on? As i am having a NAS already i do not need the HTPC to have an own storage, it should simply use the NAS for storage and should work together with freeNAS, any suggestions?

diedrichg

Wizard
FreeNAS can do what you are asking it to do with plugins but if you need dedicated digital audio out and HDMI direct to the TV then I'd say add a HTPC to the mix. I actually have a AMD FM1 mobo, APU and RAM that I am selling that was in my HTPC before updating the hardware recently. It worked flawlessly, I really didn't need to upgrade but I had the extra parts.

Anyways, I digress. You can run a very capable HTPC with Linux Mint (or Windows 7/8), SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Headphones, Plex and of course XBMC on a decent AMD APU. This is my preferred setup as I like to keep my server separate from my entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.