FreeNAS & HTPC Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
Having recently built a FreeNAS system I'm interested in what other people do when using an HTPC setup. I've read a bit about Plex, but never used it before. I currently use Mediaportal on a standalone Windows 7 system which stores media locally and would like to use FreeNAS to host the media instead.

Is Plex the way to go? If so, what client hardware should I use to connect to the TV? We have ipads and android devices too which may benefit from the Plex approach. What do other people use for TV clients? Intel NUC? Roku?

Or, is it better to have a dedicated HTPC, like I have now, and use FreeNAS to store and share files across the network?

Some examples of real world setups would be very useful along with hints and tips about usage e.g. is DTS audio supported? Will such and such a client support 1080p streaming?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
After trying all the htpc software out there over the years, and even with an extensive xbmc setup, I switched to Plex on the server, and raspberry pi 2/3s on all my TVs. By far the easiest setup and configuration I have ever had. The wife acceptance factor has been phenomenal.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
How does the raspberry pi 2/3 cope with streaming large mkv bluray rips with HD audio in DTS or similar? I need both wife & teenage daughter acceptance here :p

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
How does the raspberry pi 2/3 cope with streaming large mkv bluray rips with HD audio in DTS or similar? I need both wife & teenage daughter acceptance here :p
Plex hasn't choked on any content I've thrown at it.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
OK thanks, I'll add the Pi 3 to my list of things to investigate further :cool:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Some examples of real world setups would be very useful along with hints and tips about usage e.g. is DTS audio supported? Will such and such a client support 1080p streaming?
Our HTPC is an old Mac mini (Core 2 Duo). We have no reason to go above 720p on our 32" TV, so nothing to say about 1080p. We had occasional hiccups streaming raw DVD images but that turned out to be the WiFi. Hard-wired for a month or two now and smooth as butter.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Our HTPC is an old Mac mini (Core 2 Duo). We have no reason to go above 720p on our 32" TV, so nothing to say about 1080p. We had occasional hiccups streaming raw DVD images but that turned out to be the WiFi. Hard-wired for a month or two now and smooth as butter.
I should have mentioned. Screw wireless..

DiViDeR

Dabbler
I have Cat 6 cable running to the current HTPC which feeds a 60" Plasma Samsung SmartTV. I use an old Yamaha AV receiver (no HDMI) and TOSlink optical for audio. I know that the amp needs updating, but did notice when looking at RPi3 that you can get a Digi+ board that gives optical out. This board covers the SoC on the RPi3 which some people have concerns about overheating. Would this be an issue when watching a 2-3 hr 1080p movie?

Anybody else have setups or specs they'd like to share? Cheers ;)

fta

Contributor
My data is served from my freenas box. Emby serves my htpc frontends from a VM on a hypervisor box. My frontends are kodi on these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IT1WJZQ/?tag=ozlp-20

I hate slow tv guis, and these things are snappy as hell. Video playback is hardware accelerated (but I don't believe it will do 4k).

DiViDeR

Dabbler
Thanks, I'd seen other people mention Chromebox, but not looked any further yet .... time to google! ;)

brando56894

Wizard
Plex is awesome if you want a "no frills" setup and front end, it's also great for sharing with friends or streaming while outside of your network. For inside of my network I use Kodi since I like the themes and plugins that it offers. I run a plex server also, but that's mainly for my friends to access or for me to use when I go to my parents house every few months.

Nick2253

Wizard
On my HTPC, I use Kodi + PleXMBC for the best of both worlds. Thanks to Kodi, I have a really powerful UI, and I can leverage other services like Netflix (Flix2Kodi), Steam (Steam Launcher), other games (ROM Collection Browser), and security camera PIP on motion (Security Cam Overlay) in a near seamless manner. Thanks to eventghost, I have my projector and receiver integrated in to one IR remote control (with a wireless keyboard/mouse if so desired), and thanks to openHAB, I can integrate the HT with the lighting in my HT room. The WAF is really high, and it gives me lots of geek cred :D

diedrichg

Wizard
I can't recommend Emby enough. It's open source and Luke and Ebr are constantly developing it. It has an extensive ecosystem and I couldn't think of using anything else. You can install the server software on any OS to give it a try before you settle in on Plex or Emby.

Koala

Dabbler
After trying all the htpc software out there over the years, and even with an extensive xbmc setup, I switched to Plex on the server, and raspberry pi 2/3s on all my TVs. By far the easiest setup and configuration I have ever had. The wife acceptance factor has been phenomenal.
What software do you run on the pis?

DiViDeR

Dabbler
Great to see some more replies & suggestions :) Currently trying out an XBOX 360 as a Plex client for TV, Movies & music.

Status
Not open for further replies.