What is appropriate for my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJN

Cadet
I stream music and movies (much high rez) to PC's and movie players at home. Typically only 1 user but I could conceive of 2 movies at a time by different users. I have about 7 TB of stuff and it might grow over time.

As a "demonstration of concept" project, I managed to take an old (5 years at least) 2.8 MHz Pentium 1 GB memory (2GB max), 40 GB PATA drive and make into FREENAS server with UFS. I am able to steam up to 2 movies and High rez music, simultaneously, without hiccough. If I am reading graphs correctly, speed is 5 MB, sec

I have read re: ZFS, RAID,etc. Not sure I understand all ramifications.

All of my data is backed up. Any downtime is not a life altering event to me, just irritating - ie this stuff is not "mission critical" or my business - it's just entertainment.

Trying to look to the future and would prefer to do this set up once, not many times. It would be nice I suppose to just be told a disk is going and just put one in and move on...

Prefer to save money but have ZERO desire to waste money if no advantage to me.

So, should I

1) Get a bunch of drives to allow enough space, get a SATA card, use UFS and move on

OR

2) Buy a new motherboard that allows more memory, has built in SATA, etc and do the ZFS thing.

Thanks

All advice gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

Robert A. Harris, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.P.

louisk

Patron
I would suggest that you go with option 2. You can get a relatively cheap c2d board, I'd make sure it supports at least 4G RAM and sounds like you'll need a number of SATA ports.
If you wish to use RAIDZ, you'll need (using 2T as a spindle), a minimum of 5 spindles (RAIDZ is similar to RAID5)
If you wish to use RAIDZ2, you'll need (using 2T as a spindle), a minimum of 6 spindles (RAIDZ2 is similar to RAID6)
If you wish to use mirrors, you'll need (using 2T as a spindle), a minimum of 8 spindles (mirrors in the same pool are similar to RAID10)

ProtoSD

MVP
I agree with Louis, option one is an invitation to doing things more than once and an opportunity for problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.