What does the reset button do on the FreeNAS Mini E (from iXsystems)?

Redcoat

MVP
Hi again.

So, it looks like your original SATA DOM had indeed died - glad you have a replacement. Give me an hour to finish something here and I'll then dig up a couple of past emails with some info that might help to track down other past configuration files - not sure but we'll try...

Redcoat

MVP
You mention "old pools" and "pools ...right before the crash". What did you do with your "old pools" when you created "new pools". What process did you follow?

Can you also try the command "zpool status -v" in the shell and report the output in code tags here?

needshelp

Dabbler
ok
at the end of last year- Dec 2020 I finally figured out my networking with the freenas xl as a file server and was ready to start transferring data. I created a pool and some folders just to see that things were working. I then saved the config file on another machine. This is the config file I just uploaded. The pools that existed at that time are when I refer to the old pools.
I then created new pools with folders and added lots of data to these new pools during the month of January mostly.
Everything was fine until a few weeks ago when I could not log into the webui of freenas. As described before I could not get access directly either using the direct attached monitor and keyboard. I finally did a hard reboot by holding the power button and boot failed.
I was told I could import my old pools when I get the new sata-dom. I first imported the old config file not thinking it included the pool setup. When I go to import pool no pools are listed in the drop-down. Below is my zpool status output

root@freenas[~]# zpool status -v
pool: boot-pool
state: ONLINE
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
boot-pool ONLINE 0 0 0
ada10p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: data-pool-1
state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 01:19:16 with 0 errors on Sun Jan 31 01:19:17 2021
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
data-pool-1 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/19ea198a-4563-11eb-8e74-0007435b94b0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/1a091666-4563-11eb-8e74-0007435b94b0 ONLINE 0 0

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do you possibly mean datasets, not pools? If you have e.g. 4 disks in your NAS there will only be one pool in most configurations.

If you restored an older config and you say your "pools" are not there, do you mean via file sharing? That would be expected, you need to recreate the sharing configuration manually.

But your data should be there. Does zfs list show your pools/datasets?

needshelp

Dabbler
dam, I think you are right, it was the data sets I changed. I just did a zfs list and I see them listed. So the sharing setup is not in the config and I need to redo them?

Redcoat

MVP
Possibly not - your latest config is hopefully there - more in the next post in a few.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So the sharing setup is not in the config and I need to redo them?
Precisely.

I have worked in support for roughly three decades, now. Out-guessing users has become second nature :tongue:

Glad your data is there.

Edit: @Redcoat is right, of course - with high probability your current config will be found. Leaving that to him, now.

Redcoat

MVP
The current config is saved daily to your pool (unless you moved tyhe system dataset to your boot pool).

Go to the shell and run cd /var/db/system, then ls and screen copy the result here, like this:
1616183209593.png

needshelp

Dabbler
ok
freenas-sys.PNG

Redcoat

MVP
OK - now type mc to open midnight commander and post the output:

1616184124798.png

needshelp

Dabbler
freenas-sys-mc.PNG

Redcoat

MVP
OK, arrow key down to select the configs file - one line down for you - hit return and post output:
1616184966177.png

needshelp

Dabbler
freenas-sys-mc-configs.PNG

Redcoat

MVP
OK - here you can see that you do have an autosaved config folder created at 03h45 on Feb 10 - that folder will have the latest saved version(s) of your config db.

Again, arrowkey 2 lines down to that and hit return and post - here's my latest:

1616185667885.png

needshelp

Dabbler
freenas-sys-mc-configs2.PNG

Redcoat

MVP
OK - arrowkey through that and fiond the latest dated version of the .db file. the next task will be to copy that file to your boot drive to replace the current .db file that you are booting with.

Lets first see what the latest file is that you have in there.

For example, mine is March 19.

needshelp

Dabbler
Look like Feb 10
freenas-db.PNG

Redcoat

MVP
So this should be not long before, if not the morning of, the crash?

needshelp

Dabbler
well could it be the last time it was shut down? It was left on for several weeks before the crash. I think the crash was more like end of Feb

Redcoat

MVP
OK, it's the best you have.

I'm presently trying to confirm the location on your boot drive to which this file needs to be copied - I cannot find my notes so I'm attempting to work it out "from scratch".

If anyone else here wants to chip in with the location and copying instructions, please do so - there's a minor domestic crisis on here at the same time and my attention is divided - I'll be back as soon as I can, hopefully I can prevent its transition from minor to major...