What does mask group do? why do i need it?

vampyren

Dabbler
Hi,

I cant figure out from documentation why i must have this mask group when adding access for my new group!?
When i Add Item the Mask is added automatically. Then i added my group "spawn" in the picture.
What is this Mask and why must i have it?
Also unless i give write access to mask it seems my Group-spawn wont get write access even if i give it write access. So basically now i have to give all the same access to Group-spawn to Mask. Why?
Even if this is a must, cant this sort of thing be done in the background? this makes the user experience very hard.
Also documentation dont mention it + its is not updated with the new UI
1631087760781.png

KrisBee

Wizard

vampyren

Dabbler
Thank you. I really don't want to get into command line and all that for this to be honest. But the NFSv4 ACL maybe is the answer, if i can figure out what that it :)
Still i think the stuff that dont make sense for "normal" users should remain hidden for more nerdy people who wan to play with them through command line. Or there could be a Simple/Advance switch .....
Just my 2 cent :D

crk1918

Dabbler
Thank you. I really don't want to get into command line and all that for this to be honest. But the NFSv4 ACL maybe is the answer, if i can figure out what that it :)
Still i think the stuff that dont make sense for "normal" users should remain hidden for more nerdy people who wan to play with them through command line. Or there could be a Simple/Advance switch .....
Just my 2 cent :D
I seem to have found the answer for ACLs: YouTube Video by Sauber-Lab UK, I guess the most important thing is to understand the "mask".

You can give it a try.