what cable for a H310 RAID card on a Dell R710?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizonbrave

Explorer
Hi,
I just ordered on ebay a H310 card for my R710 so that I can flash into IT mode so that I can let freenas play nicely with my drives and overcome the 2TB limitation.
I don't have experience at all with backplanes, SAS connection and basic server related hardware.. so I wonder if someone knows if I can still use the original cable connecting the original card to the backplane, a Dell Perc 6/i - E2K-UCS-61(B), with the new H310 card. Otherwise could I please be pointed to the necessary cable (lenght included)?

Another thing I couldn't figure out: can I place the card in the same slot?

I'm pretty sure this has been done plenty of times before by many of you :)
Many thanks!

horizonbrave

Explorer
Apparently both the backplane as the H310 RAID card offer a standard SFF-8087 connection and (using the dedicate PCI slot) the cable lenght is 60cm. Not sure if using an other slot a bit of extra lenght is required.. gotta find out first if I'll be able to flash the H310 in IT mode and use it in that same slot.
Does actually someone please knows if the card get flashed in IT mode with the LSI firmware still works in the same slot as the Perc 6/i? Or to do that I have to flash it with a Dell firmware?
Many thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.