Western Digital RED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
My reply was in reference to the comment earlier concerning Seagate vs Western Digital as I've had no problems with the later of the two.
The Maxtor comment was just and old memory surfacing! If you were offended my apologies.

aidasan

Explorer
Well I will buy 3 WD Red 3Tb tomorrow, one spare because i think for a RAID1 it's good to have the same spare no ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
only because of how tiny it would be

Wouldn't that depend on the purpose of the server? :smile: I'll point out that a small 40GB is able to hold a lot of documents or text files.. looking at the 17 shares on the big fileserver here, 12 are under 100GB. I've been tempted (but too lazy) to stick a bunch of it on SSD for awesome speed funness.

It makes some sense if you have the hardware and are just looking to build a NAS. It certainly makes no sense if you're looking to build large storage, though, and certainly FreeNAS is aimed at that...

joeschmuck

Old Man
@aidasan

You have listed both budget and enterprise class drives here and the pricing is an indicator here. I feel you need to purchase the drive that meets the data speeds you are trying to achieve. If this is not a high speed situation then you could use any of the drives. The WD Red have not been in the market place very long but I own 4 of them and haven't had a single problem. Typically if a drive doesn't fail within the first few weeks of use, they will last a long time, that goes with any manufacturer. I know my company buys the Seagate Constellation drives for server and desktop use and will likely continue to do so. I have three of those drives in my office and they have been running for 3+ years without issue.

My personal favorite is the WD Red for a home use server. If I was building a high use office server, I would not use the WD Red because they would be too slow for that environment in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.