Weird SMB Permissions Issue - Can Create Files but Not Copy or Delete From Windows

HarryMuscle

Contributor
I've got a weird permissions issue I'm trying to figure out. I have a share setup with the following advanced options checked (the rest unchecked):

Browsable to Network Clients
Enable Shadow Copies
Enable Alternate Data Streams
Enable SMB2/3 Durable Handles

The most notable and relevant item unchecked is Enable ACL. In other words, I'm using basic Unix permissions since the pool also has ACLs disabled at the pool level.

The folder that the share points to is owned by userX and groupY and has the permission 775. The user connecting to the share is userZ but belongs to groupY and therefore should have full write permissions.

From Windows I can browse the share and right click and select New -> Folder or New -> Text File (other types of files work also) and create files/folders in the share. However, if I try to copy a file or folder from a local drive to the share I get an error stating "Item Not Found". If I try to copy files from one folder in the share to another folder in the share though everything works.

Any help on where to start troubleshooting this is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

Edit: Just tried connecting with userX who owns the folder that the share points to and I get the exact same issue.

Edit 2: I've been able to track down the issue to the fact that I have a special pool configuration where the extended attributes are disabled. So I guess now the question is why is SAMBA creating this weird behaviour on a pool with xattr=off.

Last edited:

HarryMuscle

Contributor
For anyone that stumbles across this in the future, the issue turned out to be the combination of having extended attributes disabled on the dataset and having Alternate Data Streams enabled on the SMB share.