Status
Not open for further replies.

helvete666

Dabbler
New to the forums so please bear with me, also newish to freenas

i have a freeness box and it has a intel core 2 quad
8gb ram
and 4x3 TB drives

i'm getting the following error when loading up and i cannot get past it nor can i access the webgui

freenas stopped at kdb_enter+0x3e: movq $0, kdb_why

Looking to your guidance to help me resolve

D

dlavigne

Sounds like the USB stick died. Have you tried reinstalling to another stick?

helvete666

Dabbler
ok i have bit the bullet and i rebooted from the power switch and now it is saying it is degraded with a critical alert and looks like one of my disks is missing too

gpsguy

Please post the output of zpool status -v in code tags.

helvete666

Dabbler
Code:
[root@FREENAS ~]# zpool status -v                                                                                                  
  pool: RaidStorage                                                                                                                
state: DEGRADED                                                                                                                  
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.                                                                
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a                                                        
        degraded state.                                                                                                            
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with                                                          
        'zpool replace'.                                                                                                          
  scan: scrub in progress since Mon Aug 29 22:11:15 2016                                                                          
        1.15T scanned out of 7.11T at 136M/s, 12h46m to go                                                                        
        0 repaired, 16.21% done                                                                                                    
config:                                                                                                                            

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                
        RaidStorage                                     DEGRADED     0     0     0                                                
          raidz1-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0                                                
            gptid/e797ec83-1f53-11e6-a5bc-002354bc31ce  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            15153330262956006425                        REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/7bd01708-6d2c-11e6-b823-0022159ad
feb                                                                                                                                
            gptid/8afaa3b6-5cd3-11e6-95b8-0022159adfeb  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/0630b8c2-2061-11e6-b9e5-002354bc31ce  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                      

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                              
state: ONLINE                                                                                                                    
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h10m with 0 errors on Tue Aug 23 03:55:21 2016                                                        
config:                                                                                                                            

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                                                    
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                  
          da0p2     ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                    

[\code]

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
ok i have bit the bullet and i rebooted from the power switch and now it is saying it is degraded with a critical alert and looks like one of my disks is missing too
Okay, so you have a failed drive that needs replacing. Did you do as asked regarding the USB Boot:

helvete666

Dabbler
Okay, so you have a failed drive that needs replacing. Did you do as asked regarding the USB Boot:

I had a look to replace the drive and i do not have an offline button per the manual, i've a new drive on the way, should be here later today.

As for the USB, would I need to download the iso to usb and set up again with the saved config?
Should I change the USB first and then swap out the drive?

Mirfster

If it were me I would do this (others may have different opinions):
  1. Shutdown the Server
  2. Disconnect ALL Drives (Leave them disconnected)
  3. Attach New USB Stick
  4. Install FreeNAS
  5. Upload Config; Make sure things are working fine
  6. Shutdown, Attach ALL Drives (including the new one if possible; not sure how many SATA Ports you have)
  7. See if the Pool/Volume appears; otherwise you may need to Import it
  8. Have FreeNAS replace the failed drive with the new one
  9. Let it re-silver (Pray another drive does not die during this or your Pool is gone...)
  10. Shutdown and remove the failed drive (go by actual the drive's Serial Number)
  11. Boot and see if things are fine
Now, some side notes:
  1. You are running RaidZ1 which is not really recommended. Especially for drives of your size.
  2. You are running the Minimal Recommended amount of RAM.
  3. I don't think your hardware supports ECC (RAM or CPU... Maybe even the Motherboard). Not really recommended hardware so just understand you are already in the negative out of the gate...
  4. If you really do plan on running FreeNAS with important/vital data then please give some thought to getting appropriate hardware

gpsguy

I wouldn't shut it down yet.

Check the results from zpool status again. Last night, there was a scrub in progress and it had ~13 hours to go. I'm not sure if it's done yet. You wouldn't want to interrupt it, if it's close to completion.

Then follow Mirfster's directions.

Last edited:

Mirfster

danb35

Hall of Famer
i've a new drive on the way, should be here later today.
Be sure to burn in and test the new drive before putting it into your pool. It would suck to get the drive replaced, only to have the new one be DOA.

helvete666

Dabbler
Quick question - how can i tell which drive has died - i know which disk is missing and i'm guessing it the one that is also removed from the output above.

gpsguy

helvete666

Dabbler
Match the serial number to the gptid. You can use the webGUI or use one of @Bidule0hm 's scripts. See - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/scripts-to-report-smart-zpool-and-ups-status-hdd-cpu-t°-hdd-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/ "Display drives identification infos (Device, GPTID, Serial)"

As Mirfster said, if you have an available SATA connection, leave the old drive connected when you put the new one in. You can remove the old one at step #10 in his directions.
ok the scrub is done
I have no spare data connection :(
I've had no luck with the script either, I'm a bit of a noob

helvete666

Dabbler
current status

Code:
zpool status -v                                                                                                   
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will                                                           
        continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.                                                                         
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.                                                                                         
  scan: resilver in progress since Tue Aug 30 18:36:49 2016                                                                         
        132G scanned out of 7.11T at 133M/s, 15h14m to go                                                                           
        1.11M resilvered, 1.82% done                                                                                               
config:                                                                                                                             

15153330262956006425                        REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/7bd01708-6d2c-11e6-b823-0022159ad
feb  (resilvering)                                                                                                                 

scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h10m with 0 errors on Tue Aug 23 03:55:21 2016                                                         
config:                                                                                                                             

da0p2     ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     

Mirfster

scan: resilver in progress since Tue Aug 30 18:36:49 2016 132G scanned out of 7.11T at 133M/s, 15h14m to go 1.11M resilvered, 1.82% done
Looks like you may want to wait for it to re-silver and see how things are...

helvete666

Dabbler
Code:
zpool status -v                                                                                                   
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for                                                     
        the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.                                                                       
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.                                                               
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q                                                                                         
  scan: resilvered 1.11M in 14h44m with 0 errors on Wed Aug 31 09:21:19 2016                                                       
config:                                                                                                                             

15153330262956006425                        UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/7bd01708-6d2c-11e6-b823-0022159ad
feb                                                                                                                                 

scan: resilvered 3.57G in 10h29m with 0 errors on Wed Aug 31 10:48:35 2016                                                       
config:                                                                                                                             

mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     
            da0p2   ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     
            da1p2   ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     

errors: No known data errors[\code]

so looks like the drive is dead i've a fresh drive on the way next week :(

helvete666

Dabbler
hi all,

wondering if someone can still help me with replacing this drive.
i added the new drive and in the GUI i'm not getting the option to replace it, furthermore it doesn't even seem to exist in the system.

should i take it out and format it from another machine and try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.