kmem_map too small system won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleJed

Cadet
Hello all,
After searching through the forums, I can see that many many people have seen this panic issue arise. However, so for I have been unable to find any thread where the NAS won't even finish booting up.
I've been running FreeNAS 9.2.1 (I think) at home on an old Dell Dimension E521 for the past 2.5 years without any problems.
AMD Athlon 64 X2
8GB RAM
2x2 TB WD HDDs running on RAID 1

This past weekend it stopped working. It won't complete the booting process. The last thing I did before this happened was that I was moving a few things around on my network and pulled the network cable out of the back. When I reconnected the cable, FreeNAS did not re-establish its connection to the network. As I've had this happen several times I didn't even bother at the terminal, but instead just did a hard reboot by holding down the power button (probably a stupid mistake). I had actually done the same thing last week and it worked just fine. However this time it won't finish loading.
I will insert a screen shot in a second, but wanted to know a few things first.
I'm no expert when it comes to BSD. I've had limited experience with linux. So I can get around somewhat but may need a little help trying any suggestions that are posted here.
That being said, I've been wanting to upgrade to the latest version of FreeNAS for a long time so I was hoping to just grab a different thumb drive, install the latest version and start over with the machine altogether (instead of trying to fix this one). I don't mind re-doing the configuration if I have to - I just want to be able to easily import the data volumes from the old server. So is this possible? If I just stick a different thumb drive in the back with the latest version, will it recognize the volumes on the RAID? Or do I have to actually have another 2 HDDs, create a new pool and then import the old volumes to them?

Alternatively, if anyone understands the greek on this screen, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix the current configuration. I've done some research and tried to go in a add a line to the \boot\loader.conf that said something like kmem_size_scale=2 or something like that, but when I tried to exit the editor, it wouldn't save the changes. So I'd need some help figuring out how to edit any config files as the root user.

Can anyone help me out here? Thank you so much!
(I tried booting several times with all 4 sticks of RAM out one at a time in case it was a RAM problem)
Bl2F2PT.jpg

Last edited:

gpsguy

I'd start by doing a fresh install of FreeNAS 9.2.1 (or whatever you had before) on a new flash drive and see if you can import your pool. You can download old versions of FreeNAS from: http://download.freenas.org/

UncleJed

Cadet
Woohoo! It appears that this may be working. I found the original CD I had used to install it and reinstalled to a new thumb drive. It appears that I also successfully imported the ZFS pool. So now I'll just have to step through and set up the user accounts again so I can access the data. I'll post again once it all looks good.
Thanks so much for your input!

UncleJed

Cadet
So far, other than the annoyance that I keep seeing 'freenas smdb[13503]: matchname failed on 192.168.x.x' (my xen server), it all seems to be going well. After I create an off-site backup of the data, I think I'll still upgrade to the latest and greatest FreeNAS version.
Thanks again for your help - just needed a little confidence push there. hehe.
Resolved (or rather worked around it)

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear that you're back in business.

If you had saved a copy of your configuration file, you could restore it, to get your settings back.

Guessing that you don't, after you reconfigure FreeNAS, backup the configuration. Some folks use a cron job to back up their settings on a regular basis.

If/when you decide to upgrade, take it slowly. Perhaps from where you are right now -> 9.2.1.9 -> 9.3.1 -> 9.10.x

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So far, other than the annoyance that I keep seeing 'freenas smdb[13503]: matchname failed on 192.168.x.x' (my xen server), it all seems to be going well. After I create an off-site backup of the data, I think I'll still upgrade to the latest and greatest FreeNAS version.
Thanks again for your help - just needed a little confidence push there. hehe.
Resolved (or rather worked around it)
The miss match error just means you don't have DNS configured. Either set that up or disable smb hostname lookups.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

UncleJed

Cadet
Ah! Got it sorted! Thank you, SweetNLow. And yes, gpsguy, I definitely should have had that backed up somewhere. Will do it this time for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.