Web interface gone "An error occurred."

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yep, agreed.
So about those log files, what would help identify what caused the WebUI to die?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Does anyone know WHAT log files I need to produce to assist with diagnosing this problem, it has happened again.

Noctris

Contributor
start by checking /var/log/messages

But solid advice has been given ( including on the closed bug where you commented: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7499) clearly stating heat could cause this. Your response was:

Yes the disks are too hot (at times) but generally, when no scrub or smart long test is being performed, they run sub 50c - not ideal but they've done this for 8 months.
Definitely would like to cool better and or replace the whole system one day but as it stands, I'd love to know what log file I should be pulling in case this happens again.

As i said before: i've had this in the past a couple of times. Every time, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. this was caused by hardware issues ( cpu too hot, failing boot device ) Fix the hardware , issue goes away.
if this is hardware related, logfiles might give you a hint, or not( i just spent 3 weeks hunting a hardware issue with freenas causing lock/reboot without a single logentry...)

Running like that for 8 months will not guarantee you will be able to run like that for 8 more.. Hardware breaks. By using it in less then ideal conditions, it breaks fast. If your disks are running at ~50 normally and > 50 when scrubbing, i can only imagine what the cpu and ram temp must be...

So ? Have you done anything about the heat issue ?:

Did you do something about the temperature of the disks ? ( 48°C COULD be an issue.. disks / boot device(s) not responding quick enough causing nginx django to crash)
What is your cpu temp ? (sysctl a | grep temp)
Have you ran a memtest on the non-ecc memory ?
Did you do a scrub on the boot devices ?
have you tryed doing a fresh install on a new usb ( export config, install latest image, import config) to see if this helps ?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'll turn the fan back on (which sucks, it's winter, was hoping not to have to for 4 months) but would prefer the log files clearly identify the fault. Yeah, v.likely a system issue but be nice to have something solid

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'll turn the fan back on (which sucks, it's winter, was hoping not to have to for 4 months) but would prefer the log files clearly identify the fault. Yeah, v.likely a system issue but be nice to have something solid
You don't have the fans on!? That isn't something you should do, you are trying your computer. Airflow is much more affective at reducing temps than cold air. Logs are in /var/log/messages.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Machine has internal fans, I have an external desk fan pointed directly at the front of it to keep it cool in summer.
Did I mention I hate 7200rpm disks? because I loathe them.

Noctris

Contributor
They don't have to be bad, but you do need good cooling. 8 out of my 24 disks are 7200. They never go beyond 30. Even during summer. But the case is made for that amount of disks and airflow is not restricted. Just stuffing a more then adviced in a case that wasn't made for it will not work i'm afraid.

About the logfile: the thing with overheated stuff is that it will do weird things which not always will make sense. Stuff timing out because cpu is throtteling down to protect itself etc.

Have you checked cpu temp?
Did ram tests?

Sent from my portable microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.