Web Gui Login Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeNasNas

Cadet
Hi,

I hope you can help a FreeNAS newbie. A few weeks ago I installed FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b) on a Thumb drive to test it on my system:
Motherboard: Supermicro A1SAi-2750F
RAM: 4x 8GB Kingston ECC
HDD: 4x WD-Red 2TB (RaidZ2, encrypted)
UPS: APC BR900G-GR

Until yesterday, everything works fine, but today I can't login to the Web-Gui. My thought was the password change for user root. I used IPMI to get a shell and changed the root password to something simple. Now I can login via SSH (as root) with the new password, but not on the Web-Gui. I always get "username or password wrong".
There are two things I changed yesterday:
* I installed and configured the UPS (It worked/works)
* I tried to set up Link Aggregation for the NICs but didn't work, so I deleted the lagg interface and use normal network setup.

I also changed nothing on the Web-Gui, no SSL, etc. I can't find the reason why this happens. The next thing is, I'm not able to decrypt the "zpool". If i enter "zpool status", the only pool I get is the thumb drive with FreeNAS but not the WD-Red pool. I have backups of all the data on that pool, so I will not loose any data, but it would be nice to unlock the pool.

I hope you can help me.

FreeNasNas

Cadet
I rebooted the system and noticed a warning (I'm not sure if this is important):
Warning unrecognized source [mdns]

I also noticed, that I can't login via SSH. I think the password changed again. After login via IPMI and changing the root password it works (I can login via SSH).

FreeNasNas

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I solved the problem. Here is what I did:
  • Login via IPMI and set FreeNAS to "factory defaults".
  • After the reboot, login via Web-GUI (incl. set new root password)
  • Saved FreeNAS-Config
  • Imported the encrypted volume (uploaded the geli key and entered the password), btw. this worked well (NO data loss)
  • Saved FreeNAS-Config
  • Configured the rest of the services (SSH, S.M.A.R.T-Tests, Scrubs, UPS, etc.)
  • Saved FreeNAS-Config
Lessons learned?!
  • Make backups of the geli keys (luckily I've backuped the keys)
  • Make regular backups of the FreeNAS Config (awesome "feature", one file to backup most of the system settings)

Status
Not open for further replies.