Volume - File change logging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocdpfsas

Cadet
I'm just curious if there is a common way to log changes to files within a freenas volume. We've been having some accidental deletions on a large volume and I'm trying to find out who keeps doing it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you enable the recycle bin feature, when the file is deleted it'll go to the .recycle/usernamethatdeletedit/folderstructureforoldfile/filename.

Also, if you enable logging on CIFS you can probably see who deleted it. That is, assuming that the cyclic logs aren't refreshed before you see who does it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
logs are all in /var/logs.

Any reason you don't use the recycle bin feature of CIFS? It's handy for those "accidental" deletes that come up from time to time.

ocdpfsas

Cadet
Yeah I looked through /var/logs. Couldn't find anything for CIFS or any logs with my users in them.

I already have backups of the NAS so I'm not worried about restoring stuff that's deleted, I just want to know who keeps deleting important stuff.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I already have backups of the NAS so I'm not worried about restoring stuff that's deleted, I just want to know who keeps deleting important stuff.

So again I'll ask.. why not enable the recycle bin? When a file is deleted you go find the file and the file path will tell you who deleted it. Sure sounds like it will tell you who did it to me...

ocdpfsas

Cadet
Sorry I must be confused about something. Say I have a shared directory named "Engineering" which 45 people access on a daily basis. A directory within Engineering named "PDFs" is deleted by one of the 45 users. If it's recovered via the recycle bin, the path would just be /share/Engineering/PDFs right? Is there any association with the deleting user?

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to make sure I understand. I appreciate your help, this is probably the fastest response time I've seen on a forum post :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry I must be confused about something. Say I have a shared directory named "Engineering" which 45 people access on a daily basis. A directory within Engineering named "PDFs" is deleted by one of the 45 users. If it's recovered via the recycle bin, the path would just be /share/Engineering/PDFs right? Is there any association with the deleting user?

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to make sure I understand. I appreciate your help, this is probably the fastest response time I've seen on a forum post :)

Nope. Look at what I put above....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.