FreeNAS to external NAS w/versioning

I've dug through a bunch of posts here and, either due to my ignorance, impatience, or stubbornness, have not found an answer I really like. Either way, if this question's been asked a bunch and answered, I apologize.

I'm looking to backup FreeNAS to my old NAS (QNAP). I have roughly 3TB used of 12TB usable SSD storage. 90% is relatively static content. I want to protect from accidental deletions, ransomware, and other catastrophic occurrences on the NAS (I'm also passing the disks through XCP-NG which doesn't seem to be an overly common practice so I have some additional risk there). I have 3x 12TB disks in my QNAP as RAID5 and I would like to keep 1-2 weeks of local versions on the QNAP before replicating to cloud storage for archival purposes.

I can't run backup software (or any decent backup software) directly on the QNAP (it's a pretty basic model) and it seems that FreeNAS does not support versioning from a backup perspective. Is my best bet to run a server that mounts both FreeNAS stores and the QNAP store in order to handle this backup strategy or is there a more eloquent (ie. built-in) way to do this? Are there any clever strategies others have implemented to accomplish this?