SOLVED Vmware Snapshot Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
Just a couple of comments on the OS integration, I will raise bugs if you feel that its not my anaemic nas box

It looks like integration will only work with localos user logons, if I try to add a domain\username it fails with an invalid logon, the only way is to use a local user on the Vcenter. If this is the Vmware appliance this not so easy as as the Vmware web interface does not allow you to add users so I used the root user, I guess you can log onto the Appliance and try to create a user but not sure if this is what Vmware want you to be doing.

Below is the error.
Description,Type,Date Time,Task,Target,User
Cannot login mydomain\svcfreenas@192.168.xx.xx,
Error,
30/11/2014 20:26,,,mydomain\svcfreenas

Point 2

While I was testing I tried to snapshot a volume with a busy SQL server on it, either due to the puny nature of my nas (N54L) or the high iops the Quiesce failed and caused the ui to barf with the below error in a popup.

Not sure if the snapshot failure is a Freenas issue but it needs to handle the error?

Vcenter Error
Description,Type,Date Time,Task,Target,User
Warning message on MYSERVER1 on myesxi.mydomain.biz in MyDataCenter: The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 5 The error message was: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8449 (0x80042301) ,Warning,30/11/2014 20:47,,MYSERVER1,vpxuser

Freenas Error

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.3-BETA-3f455d0-x64
Request Method: POST
Request URL:
http://mynas/storage/snapshot/create/VMSTORE/ISCSI_32K/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
105. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
156. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
22. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/views.py" in manualsnap
701. form.commit(fs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in commit
1824. vm1.create_snapshot(vmsnapname, memory=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pysphere/vi_virtual_machine.py" in create_snapshot
889. FaultTypes.TASK_ERROR)

Exception Type: VIException at /storage/snapshot/create/VMSTORE/ISCSI_32K/
Exception Value: [Task Error]: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine.

MACHINES

HP N54L Microserver
16 Gb Ram
Dual Intel 1Gb Nic configured as a LAG (LACP) for NFS and ISCSI
Onboard Nic for Cifs and Management.
4 x Hitachi 2TB 3.5 HDD Z2
2 x hitachi 1TB 2.5 HDD mirror.
System Data on Z2 pool.
Z2 Pool contanis 3 Datasets shared as CIFS and one NFS Dataset used as a Vmware Datastore.
Mirror 3 ISCSI presentations (Block) and 1 NFS share.
booting from San Cruzer 8GB stick.

Vmware Host
Intel I7 Processor
32 Gb Ram
2 ISCSI Connections on two paths (Dual Intel Nic)
3 VM Stores 1 NFS Store, 1 ISCSI (32k Block) 1 ISCSI (8K Block)

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

For point 1, please create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

For point 2, you shouldn't be getting a traceback. Please create an error report containing the traceback at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
I repeated the snapshot and this time it worked so it maybe just a case of the error handling. Unfortunately I killed the pop up window so I only have what I posted above but I will raise the issues.

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
Looks like point one one was a temp one, ran some test code and it just worked despite my hours worth of failure earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.