SOLVED System will not boot after GUI upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich N

Cadet
Hello, It appears that my FreeNas is hosed. After upgrading from 9.2.1.6 to 9.3 BETA i get an OperationalError exception. I'm guessing the db schema upgrade failed? Anyone seen this error before? Help!

Request Method:GET
Request URL:http://192.168.1.200/
Software Version:FreeNAS-9.3-BETA-aaa86f0-x64
Exception Type:OperationalError
Exception Value:
no such column: system_settings.stg_guicertificate_id
Exception Location:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py in execute, line 452
Server time:Tue, 11 Nov 2014 08:10:57 -0500

TRACEBACK

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.3-BETA-aaa86f0-x64
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.1.200/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
88. response = middleware_method(request)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_request
167. language = Settings.objects.order_by('-id')[0].stg_language
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in __getitem__
132. return list(qs)[0]
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in __iter__
96. self._fetch_all()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in _fetch_all
857. self._result_cache = list(self.iterator())
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in iterator
220. for row in compiler.results_iter():
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py" in results_iter
713. for rows in self.execute_sql(MULTI):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py" in execute_sql
786. cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py" in execute
53. return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py" in __exit__
99. six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py" in execute
53. return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py" in execute
452. return Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)

Exception Type: OperationalError at /
Exception Value: no such column: system_settings.stg_guicertificate_id

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you submitted a bug report? The link is at the top of the Forum. When you do, please list the bug report number in this thread for others to review.

Also, list your hardware configuration. It matters.

enemy85

Guru
Is it possible to upgrade from 9.2.x.x version to 9.3? I thought it was necessary a fresh install

Rich N

Cadet
Thanks guys. While i'm waiting for my bug report account activation email can you tell me how i can reinstall the GUI upgrade from the command line?

Rich N

Cadet
Hello, my bug report is Issue #6608.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is it possible to upgrade from 9.2.x.x version to 9.3? I thought it was necessary a fresh install
I've heard both stories.

I recommend everyone install 9.3 (Beta or Release) on fresh media, to facilitate possible rollbacks, as a matter of principle. Given the major changes, it sounds even more like the better option.

Of course, I'm not saying the GUI updater won't work, that's for someone with access to the devs to say.

Rich N

Cadet
As requested, I've updated my signature with some hardware detail. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

indivision

Guru
I am also confused by the upgrade options. On one hand, I read that a fresh install is needed because it formats boot as ZFS. But, the default download is for a GUI upgrade. Does the GUI upgrade give all features but skips updating the boot as ZFS?

I ended up just going with the fresh install approach because I didn't like the possibility that I would have a half upgraded system. But, I am still curious to understand what the GUI upgrade option is about. Just not curious enough to try it now that I have already upgraded. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are on FreeNAS 9.2.0+ (and probably older but I wouldn't recommend it) you should be able to do a GUI upgrade just like you normally would. BUT, I recommend you do a fresh install and then import your config file. Even better would be to install 9.3-beta on a new USB stick that way you can roll back easily if 9.3 is a dud for you.

J

jkh

I am also confused by the upgrade options. On one hand, I read that a fresh install is needed because it formats boot as ZFS
That is false. The upgrade does the conversion from UFS to ZFS (this is called the "trampoline upgrader" and it works fine). If you want to do a fresh install just out of paranoia, that's cool too, but because of the filesystem format change, the effect is basically the same - you're getting a brand new filesystem and your config db is being migrated for you. Saving the config db, doing a fresh install, and then re-importing the db would bring you to exactly the same place because it's essentially the exact same thing being done for you. :)

Rich N

Cadet
If you are on FreeNAS 9.2.0+ (and probably older but I wouldn't recommend it) you should be able to do a GUI upgrade just like you normally would. BUT, I recommend you do a fresh install and then import your config file. Even better would be to install 9.3-beta on a new USB stick that way you can roll back easily if 9.3 is a dud for you.

Cool. I can restore my 9.2.x config db file to 9.3?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Cool. I can restore my 9.2.x config db file to 9.3?

Yes, that's the idea. Any issues in that area are probably best reported using the bug tracker.

Rich N

Cadet
Yes, that's the idea. Any issues in that area are probably best reported using the bug tracker.

I was able to write image to usb disk, boot and restore however the system wouldn't boot after the restore. It gets stuck at the boot loader with an F1 prompt. Googing around suggests that's a fairly common issue. Not good!

I think i'm going to punt. I'll just go with a fresh install, import the volumes and setup everything else.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
GUI upgrade put me in a boot loop. Fresh install, mount volume then restore config worked.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As @Ericloewe said, if you have any issues doing the GUI upgrade, please report it in the Bug Tracker because it "should" work. I've read that it has worked for some but not many and most of us will do a clean install with this first Beta version on a real metal machine.

Rich N

Cadet
As @Ericloewe said, if you have any issues doing the GUI upgrade, please report it in the Bug Tracker because it "should" work. I've read that it has worked for some but not many and most of us will do a clean install with this first Beta version on a real metal machine.

Thanks. I used a different usb drive to recover my freenas. That said, i still have the old one for bug trackers to pull data off if needed for my Issue #6608.

Status
Not open for further replies.