vms and freenas questions

zdenkers

Dabbler
I've put together some hardware and now i just trying to decide how best to have freenas handle my needs. My thought is that i can either use plugins/jails and host the various services that way or i can use a single ubuntu vm to host docker. I am significantly more comfortable in the docker realm, i know how to handle reverse proxy of the services and all the services i intend to host have official docker images. The two main services i intend to host, zoneminder and plex, both have plugins already available. my hardware configuration is:

epyc 7402p
8x8tb 7200rpm seagate exos drives.
wd blue OS
samsung 970 evo plus (for fast storage of either the vm or jails/plugins)
intel 900p 280gb (SLOG)
mellanox 10gbe NIC

Pros and cons of jails vs the vm with docker route?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Watch out on the WD blue for the OS... if that's the blue SSD, you may find it has the same TRIM bug as the green.

Jails:
+ Direct/native access to FreeNAS datasets via nullfs mounts (full speed, direct FreeBSD access).
+ Lightweight memory and file footprint (runs on top of already running FreeNAS OS).
- Jails difficult to manage if you want to stay on the latest versions of apps
- Often difficult to install and make it work (depending on your level of understanding)

VM + Docker containers
+ Latest versions usually available quickly and easy to update/install (if you do container storage properly to something like NFS for all unique data... config + app data)
+ Easy to manage (even more so if you use Portainer or Rancher server... or kubernetes if you're really into it).
- Storage access via network mapping (NFS probably best), so not at local access speed
- High resouce overhead of VM OS and memory consumption to make docker available... comparatively low against 1 VM per app though.

You don't mention the amount of RAM, so it's hard to see if a SLOG will help or not. I presume the RAM will be less than 128GB? SLOG may help a little, don't expect miracles.

zdenkers

Dabbler
Watch out on the WD blue for the OS... if that's the blue SSD, you may find it has the same TRIM bug as the green.

Its a WD blue nvme ssd, i didn't realize there were problems with those?

zdenkers

Dabbler

Jails:
+ Direct/native access to FreeNAS datasets via nullfs mounts (full speed, direct FreeBSD access).
+ Lightweight memory and file footprint (runs on top of already running FreeNAS OS).
- Jails difficult to manage if you want to stay on the latest versions of apps
- Often difficult to install and make it work (depending on your level of understanding)

VM + Docker containers
+ Latest versions usually available quickly and easy to update/install (if you do container storage properly to something like NFS for all unique data... config + app data)
+ Easy to manage (even more so if you use Portainer or Rancher server... or kubernetes if you're really into it).
- Storage access via network mapping (NFS probably best), so not at local access speed
- High resouce overhead of VM OS and memory consumption to make docker available... comparatively low against 1 VM per app though.

You don't mention the amount of RAM, so it's hard to see if a SLOG will help or not. I presume the RAM will be less than 128GB? SLOG may help a little, don't expect miracles.
i have 256gb of ecc 2933mhz memory in the system.

for the storage, i assume the filesystem can be mounted into the vm the same way as a jail. If thats true docker can mount that same mount and access will be identical in that way. also it will only really be one VM docker will handle lightweight virtualization of each app. But it is still going to be significantly heavier than jails like you say. Also i may not fully understand how the access to the datasets will work and thats the biggest reason i started this thread.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have seen nothing to confirm it for nvme, but the 3DNAND Sata ssd line seems to suffer from it.

sretalla