SOLVED VM unable to have network

X_kirkoo_X

Cadet
Hello everybody,

I ask your help because I'm begin creasy with VM and network. My freenas 11.3-U4.1 is up on a Dell server and work properly. I'm able to create some VM but no way to get some network.
My network configuration on freenas is like below on the picture. Two interface are in an aggragate Lagg0 who use LACP protocol with my Cisco switch. IP are configured in the Vlan129:

FN_network.png

So now I can create VM (currently laste release of Ubuntu server) without issue. On the VM NIC works well because I can ping myself. But I'm not able to ping the Freenas server or Gateway.
How can I "brigde" my WM to my network please? What is the best practice?
  • I already try on my VM to use the same IP than my server but all crash (normal...)
  • I already try on my VM to use another IP(10.1.129.201/24) than my server but on the same range, same gateway same DNS... no way
  • I also try to put on Freenas network interface on the Vlan129 to add my second IP (10.1.129.201/24)... But no way
In fact I'm not sure what I have to configure on my Freenas server on "interfaces" to give network access on my VM?

Thank you for your help and best regards
Kirkoo

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With a newly booted system and startup of the VM disabled, go to network settings and create a new interface, type bridge, name e.g. bridge129, and the VLAN interface as the only member.

When that works move the IP address from the VLAN to the bridge.

In your VM device settings for the virtual network attach that interface to bridge129.

X_kirkoo_X

Cadet
Hello,

Ok I will try that. But to be sure to understand correctly.
  1. I create an interface type bridge, ex bridge129 (VM off)
  2. I move my IP address (1.1.129.200/24) of my freenas server from vlan129 to bridge129
  3. When is done I boot my VM and I configure the NIC on the bridge129 and put an IP like 1.1.129.201/24
If it's ok I will give you some news asap.
Thank you for your quick help
kirkoo

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1.5 make the vlan129 a member of the bridge. Important! :smile:

Patrick

X_kirkoo_X

Cadet
Hello,

So, I'm able to migrate my freenas IP(10.1.129.200/24) on "bridge129" instead of "vlan129". Now My freenas server is available but my Jail(a nextcloud) who is "nated" is no more accessible.
I try to stop it, restart, remove and put back the nat configuration but no way.

any idea about this?

Thank you very much
kirkoo

X_kirkoo_X

Cadet
Hello,

@Patrick M. Hausen thank you for your help, I finally resolve my issue with your help.

So what I did finally:
  1. create an interface type bridge, ex bridge129 (VM off)
  2. make the vlan129 a member of the bridge
  3. boot my VM and I configure the NIC on the bridge129 and put an IP like 1.1.129.201/24 on the vm
1604590698278.png

Finally I didn't migrate my Freenas server IP on "bridge129" instead "vlan129" and it's works fine like this also for my Jails.
Now My VM NIC is configured on "bridge129" and my VM IP is 1.1.129.201/2 and VM got full network.

Thank you very much.
Kirkoo