VLC bad file descriptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cre8toruk

Dabbler
Hi All,

can anyone help me with an annoying little problem (no not that one)... When streaming movies and sometimes music from my freenas box in VLC player I get the error "cannot access file (bad file descriptor)", if i restart playback all is fine for a while and then the message appears again at a different point.

If i copy the file to my desktop and play it, it works fine.... Does this indicate a caching / memory / disk / network issue ? Any ideas how to resolve it?
To be clear playback works fine to start with...and the error occurs on different files at different times.

thanks in advance.

Paul.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi All,

can anyone help me with an annoying little problem (no not that one)... When streaming movies and sometimes music from my freenas box in VLC player I get the error "cannot access file (bad file descriptor)", if i restart playback all is fine for a while and then the message appears again at a different point.

If i copy the file to my desktop and play it, it works fine.... Does this indicate a caching / memory / disk / network issue ? Any ideas how to resolve it?
To be clear playback works fine to start with...and the error occurs on different files at different times.

thanks in advance.

Paul.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?forums/forum-guidelines-read-before-posting.26/

You don't give enough information for anyone to even think about what might be causing the problem.

rs225

Guru
I see that error if a network interruption has caused the SMB network connection to fail or reconnect.

Also if the Samba process for that client terminates. What version of FreeNAS are you running, and what is the network/OS of the client?

cre8toruk

Dabbler
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?forums/forum-guidelines-read-before-posting.26/

You don't give enough information for anyone to even think about what might be causing the problem.
Chris what's the point of your reply ? I've provided the application, the circumstances of the issue, perhaps instead of criticising the questioner quoting forum rules like you run the place you might consider either providing some helpful advice or better still just not saying anything.

cre8toruk

Dabbler
I see that error if a network interruption has caused the SMB network connection to fail or reconnect.

Also if the Samba process for that client terminates. What version of FreeNAS are you running, and what is the network/OS of the client?

Thanks for your helpful response RS, the version of FreeNAS i'm running is FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5) the network OS of my client is Windows 10..... Perhaps there's a NIC or switch error I'll investigate further.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Chris what's the point of your reply ? I've provided the application, the circumstances of the issue, perhaps instead of criticising the questioner quoting forum rules like you run the place you might consider either providing some helpful advice or better still just not saying anything.
And you can start by telling us what hardware you're using, as the forum rules ask you to do, instead of being evasive and snarky.

Status
Not open for further replies.