Help Setting up and Installing Jellyfin

Clothing0863

Cadet
My current setup is

TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial CT8G4DFS824A 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL17 Memory

And for storage, I have 2 8tb Iron Wolf Pro and 2 6tb Iron Wolf Pro drives in a raidz. I know this isn't the best-case scenario but just the drives I had as I am migrate from old synology NAS's.

I installed Jellyfin from the applications page and from true NAS, not true charts. I added my media folder as additional storage for the application.
I have set up Jellyfin with no problems. Can access the server from my LG webOS TV and from my Windows computer as well as from a browser, however, no matter what format I save the files in (the mkv as MakeMKV reads off of the DVD or using Handbrake to turn the MKV into an MP4) when I try and play the files Jellyfin says that

Playback Error​

This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format.

Furthermore, I have set the movies library to a folder called movies but if I save the film files in
/movies/Film (2012)/Film (2012).mkv
then Jellyfin will not recognise the file is there and not add it to the library. Even though this is how the documentation recommends sorting it. If I put the film file in just /movies then it will pull the metadata and populate in the library but just no play.
Jellyfin does not even recognise the resolution or the coding used for any of the files. VLC plays them fine off of my PC but not Jellyfin on the computer.

I can provide any log files that TrueNAS or Jellyfin will have created if needed, but please tell me roughly where on the system I will find them.

Have I set a setting wrong or should I have used either the command line or TrueCharts to install Jellyfin. Or am I not using the correct Handbrake/MakeMKV settings.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Here, I run TrueNAS Core instead of Scale. When I tried to run Jellyfin as a plugin, I ended up with random and strange problems. One was every clients can connect to it but not Infuse.

I gave up on that plugin and I now run Jellyfin from its official docker image. To do that, I create a Ubuntu VM in TrueNAS, installed Docker in it and mount the library over NFS.

Hope the docker container will serve you better as it did for me,

Clothing0863

Cadet
Okay, thanks. Do you recommend Ubuntu with a GUI, Ubuntu Server or a very lightweight Linux CLI-only os for this?

Clothing0863

Cadet
After a quick Google search (and my familiarity with Linux making me think it will be a bit easier) I have decided to go with Ubuntu Server LTS. But if you do have a better recommendation then please let me know.

Heracles

Wizard
Ubuntu Server CLI is what I use too...

Good luck with your setup,

Clothing0863

Cadet
I have installed Jellyfin in the Ubuntu VM, and followed this guide in the True NAS Docs on how to pass through storage to a VM, but how do I get Jellyfin to see this? When I look in the Select Path for creating a Library, there are no folders from my NAS.

Do I need to run a command or change any settings?

Heracles

Wizard
From the guide you linked :
You can now access your TrueNAS storage from the VM. You might have to set up shares or users with home directories to access certain files.

VM Access Examples​

Linux Exampleexpand
Linux VMs can access TrueNAS storage using FTP, SMB, and NFS.
In the example below, the Linux VM is using FTP to access a home directory for a user on TrueNAS.
So indeed, there is more to do.

I do not know where you stopped but you did not complete everything the guide mentioned. To create the network connection is one step, one that you probably finished.

To create a share from TrueNAS is the second step. Here, I use NFS but others would use SMB. Do as you wish. That step you probably missed.

Once the share is create, it must be mapped from the client. That last one is surely not completed because once it will be, you will see your content in the Linux system running Jellyfin.