VirtualBox bridged adapter changing on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

larynx

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412142326 and I created a jail based on the VirtualBox 4.3.12 template to run a Debian virtual machine. I also set it up so the virtual machine runs when the jail runs at boot by adding the appropriate lines in the jail's /etc/rc.conf but after every boot the bridged network adapter inside the jail changes names and the virtual machine fails to start up until I manually fix the adapter name.

It fails with the following message:
Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-epair2b' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND). Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND)

So far the adapter name has been one of the following: epair1b, epair2b and epair3b

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior but I'm just looking for a solution so I don't have to manually fix it after every reboot.

Thanks

Neek

Dabbler
If you can disable the VIMAGE checkbox in the jail's settings, that should instead allow you to bind VirtualBox to a specific adapter. I'm having similar troubles, and I've at least figured out that VIMAGE gives the jail a whole virtualized network stack (including a fake adapter such as epair1b). Disabling VIMAGE will instead let you assign an aliased IP to a physical adapter. Some jails cannot work without VIMAGE, though, but it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.