Virtual NIC MAC address does not match the MAC address shown in the web UI

seanthegeek

Dabbler
I think I've found a bug in the TrueNAS SCALE virtualization web UI. In two different VMs running Debian servers (an OS that does not randomize MAC addresses), the last three values of MAC address of the VM does not match what was configured in the TrueNAS SCALE virtualization web UI.

bcat

Explorer
Known bug, should be fixed in a future release: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-124741.

In the meantime: 1) You can see the existing MAC address by clicking the three vertical dots next to the NIC device in the VM config, then selecting "Details", and 2) You actually can change the MAC address through the edit UI... it just doesn't look like it was changed. :)

seanthegeek

Dabbler
Nope. Not that bug. I just opened a new bug with a better description.

Each time Edit is clicked on an existing NIC device in TrueNAS SCALE 23.10.0.1 or 23.10.1, the UI automatically generates a new random MAC address in the MAC Address form field. This could cause an unintentional change of the MAC address when the user only intends to change some other NIC value, such as the NIC to Attach. This should not happen. Instead, the MAC address field in the Edit panel should be pre-filled the currently configured MAC address until the Generate button is clicked.

bcat

Explorer
Interesting. I saw that bug in 23.10.0.1, but it seems to be fixed for me in 23.10.1. Now when I go to edit a VM NIC, I see the same (correct) MAC address each time.

Longshot, but did you try clearing cache? IIRC, there's been some wonkiness with the Web UI on upgrades lately that's gone away after clearing cache.

seanthegeek

Dabbler
Ah, good point. I didn't even think of the browser cache. It probably is fixed in 23.10.1 after all. Unfortunately, I can't test that right now because I rolled back to avoid the UEFI VM bug.

Last edited: