Bug in MAC address assignment for virtual adapters in SCALE Cobia

Patrick_3000

Contributor
MAC address assignment for virtual adapters does not work in Cobia (version 23.10.0 or later). Whether you have SCALE generate a MAC address for the adapter or you type one in yourself in the NIC device settings, the MAC address actually passed to the VM is different from the MAC address specified in the NIC device settings. (Also, the MAC address appearing in the NIC device settings fluctuates randomly.)

This causes muilutiple problems, one of the most significant being that it's difficult to figure out which adapter inside a VM correlates to a phsyical adapter in SCALE.

All of this worked in Bluefin and only broke upon updating to Cobia.

I don't know if anyone knows about this bug or is working to fix it in a future release. If not, does anyone know how I can report it?

Last edited:

probain

Patron
I've not experienced this myself.
However, see my screenshot below on how/where to file a Jira Ticket for your bug report. It's under the General section. Also, make sure that you check "Attach Debug". Otherwise they won't get the relevant logs and such for a useful bugtrace.
1699633568104.png

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I've not experienced this myself.
However, see my screenshot below on how/where to file a Jira Ticket for your bug report. It's under the General section. Also, make sure that you check "Attach Debug". Otherwise they won't get the relevant logs and such for a useful bugtrace.
View attachment 72300
Thanks. I have two Cobia installations, each of which has multiple VMs installed, and this problem occurs across the board with Cobia, whereas it did not in Bluefin.

You wouldn't notice the problem if the VMs were already installed when you upgraded to Cobia because the MAC address presented by the virtual adapter to your network remains the same as before, but if you look in the NIC device settings for a virtual adapter, you will notice that the MAC address appearing there no longer corresponds to the MAC address presented to the network.

In any case, thanks again for the information. I will file a Jira ticket right now.

bcat

Explorer
Can confirm, this bug is happening for me as well. Weirdly, the correct MAC address (i.e., the one the VM actually sees) still appears in the "Details" dialog box. However, a random (and incorrect) MAC address is displayed in the "Edit" dialog box.

Can you please link your Jira issue so I can follow along? Thanks!

bcat

Explorer

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Seems like this will be fixed in 23.10.1 actually: https://github.com/truenas/webui/pull/9197. :)
I'm not familiar with the jargon on github so don't totally understand this, but if it means that they plan to fix it in 23.10.1, then that's great.

In the meantime, there is a workaround. It appears that you actually can change the MAC address by editing the NIC device settings, but the change doesn't display properly in the UI, and there is a command line option to display the MAC address: midclt call vm.device.query | jq.

That's good enough for me for now, and I'll await 23.10.1 when it will hopefully be fixed.