Possible bug in 23.10.2: cannot change adapter passed to VM as NIC device

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I might have found a bug in SCALE 23.10.2 and would like to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have a NIC device that passes a physical adapter to a VM which sees it as a virtual adapter. It has worked perfectly for several months. However, recently I changed the physical adapter that is passed in the NIC device, and the change didn't take. That is, after changing the physical adapter, even though the NIC device showed the new physical adapter, the VM received the old physical adapter and had connectivity through the old physical adapter.

I was able to pass the new adapter properly in another, newly-created NIC device, but the old NIC device is stuck passing the old adapter. So, there is a workaround which is to delete the old NIC device and add a new NIC device with the desired physical adapter, but this workaround is inconvenient when there are numerous NIC devices passed to the same VM, because deleting the old NIC device will change the order of NIC devices and thus the names of adapters inside the VM.

In any event, I suspect that this is a bug in 23.10.2 and further suspect that it might be due to the correction in 23.10.1 of another bug involving MAC addresses of NIC devices, which I previously posted about here: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...t-for-virtual-adapters-in-scale-cobia.114094/. That bug regarding NIC device MAC addresses was subject to a bug ticket that both I and someone else opened, and it was fixed by IXSystems in 23.10.1. Now, in 23.10.2, I am noticing this possible problem with changing adapters in a NIC device.

Before I open a bug ticket on it, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, because maybe there was something quirky in my setup that caused this.

In case anyone finds it relevant, my CPU is Ryzen 7 Pro 5750G, and the motherboard is ASRock Rack x570d4u-2L2T.

Last edited: