Virtual Machine has no Internet Access

mattshoes

Cadet
I am working on setting up TrueNAS scale, this is my first homelab/NAS, so i'm quite new to all of this. I set up a virtual machine with Debian 11.6 but my virtual machine has no internet access. I am unable to ping the truenas host IP, the gateway IP or google (8.8.8.8). I had to manually configure the network when installing Debian, as it was unable to automatically determine it (for a sanity check, I did install the same iso image on virtualbox on linux mint and had no issue connecting to the internet). I tried using every option I could for the NIC under edit device. My motherboard has two NICs on it, I tried adapter type Intel e82585 (e1000) as well as Virtl0 with the NIC that has my truenas IP listed as well as the other NIC that has no IP listed. I created a bridge network with the other NIC as the only member, but that did not work either. Ideally i'd like to get a bridge set up with the unused NIC so that the VM can communicate with the host, but at this point i'd settle for letting it access the internet so I can update it and install applications on my virtual machine. I attempted to create a bridge using the nic that has an ethernet cable plugged into it using the instructions on the truenas website, but all that did was not allow me to access the web gui, so I had to revert back.

Below are the specs for my machine, let me know if I can provide any additional information, any help would be appreciated.

TrueNas-SCALE-22.12.0
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
AMD Ryzen 5 5600
32GB DDR4 3600

murphy603

Cadet
I am having a similar issue but with a few variations. I am able to ping local devices and 8.8.8.8 but am unable to ping www.google.com. I am receiving a ip address but am not able to reach any internet resources. Tried shutting off my pi-hole app and running dns through the internet service provider but did not work.

hi!
I have an ubuntu server virtual machine with internet with out problems.
mi truenas scale has static ip 10.4.0.100/24 with gateway 10.4.0.1 with only one nic.
If i use the of truenas i do ping to 8.8.8.8 well.
Then i create my mv with the nic attached ens33, the primary and only nic i have.
When de machine is running it takes the ip by dhcp 10.4.0.150/24 and i do ping to 8.8.8.8 perfect too.

Test first your internet in truenas, if you dont have internet there you will never have in a virtual machine.

murphy603

Cadet
I am getting internet to my truenas scale server. Able to run updates to all my apps but VMs are not reaching the web through address and unable to update vm or install new software.

Is your truenas a virtual or physical machine??

Show me you true nas ip conf in the gui (menu network), you nic mv conf (virtualization, vm, devices, nic-edit) and an "ip a" in your debian please (ip a or hostname -i or ifconfig) please

if your dhcp its working fine and you attached the nic of the vm to the principal nic of the truenas (dhcp o static doesnt matter) and you install your debian in dhcp mode it must have internet and ping 8.8.8.8 correctly.

one more thing, if you dont ping vm to truenas its ok, for that you must do a second eth bridge before and attach de nic of the vm to this new nic (name like br0, br1...)

JuanMMB

Cadet
I have the same problem as described by @murphy603 my VM does ping 8.8.8.8 as whell as ping 192.168.1.1 but it is unable to ping www.google.com
My Truenas is a bare metal install onto an HPE Microserver
This is my Nas Net Global Config
1709054894209.png

And this is the NIC config
1709054967542.png

I've tried changing the Adapter type from Virtl0 to Intel82585 but didnt work

Please help, I dont know what else to do
Thank you