Very Unhappy with Quality of Components!

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Explorer
I built the following system last week.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Mobo: ASRock E3C226D2I
CPU: Xeon E3 1231 V3
RAM: 2 x Crucial 8GB ECC

Issues:

1. Sometimes the front case LED works, sometimes it doesn't.
  2. The CPU runs at around 50 deg C in the BIOS alone. It should be between 27 and 43 deg C according to Intel. In Memtest86+ (which uses only one core) temperatures reach 59 deg C. I don't know if this is normal or not.
  3. Setting the fan speeds to "FULL ON" in the BIOS increases fan speed, however it does not maximize them. The fan speed for this processor has a maximum RPM of 3150. I never saw mine go above 2200 RPM. ASRock says that this has been reported before and they believe it is a BIOS issue.
  4. I got major event log errors, and ASRock doesn't know what they are. Error Code: EFI 03058003. After doing more of my own research I found out that the desciption of this error code is "DXE BS driver unrecognized". I haven't looked into this further beacause I am considering returning everything (except the processor which I can only have replaced).

Maturola

Explorer
thanks for the feedback.

Mine setup had been running for about 36 hours with no issues.

Max CPU temp registered had was 41C, however I am not using stock Cooler I am using Noctua NH-L9i

I really haven;t notice the LEDs, but I don't think i see any issues

As far as the Fan speed goes, the system is pretty quite Overall, I really didn't check the fan speed since I didn;t see the temp rise anywhere where you are seeing

_Will_

Explorer
Thanks for your status too!

When you say running 36 hours, are you talking about BIOS/Memtest etc. or are you running FreeNAS now?

If I order replacements for everything from Newegg I will make sure to get the Noctua NH-L9i.

I'm referring to the blue power on led on the front of the machine. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. Very weird.

A few questions:

1. What are you using to monitor your CPU temp? Since I haven't installed FreeNAS yet, I've just been looking at the temps in Memtest and the BIOS.
  2. What RAM are you using? Please provide specific part number.
  3. With the mobo came a metal bracket in the shape of an "X". What is that used for? I didn't really see any use for it, but it does look like it lines up with the CPU fan cooler mounting holes on the mobo. Did you use it or leave it off?

Maturola

Explorer
Not running FreeNAS yet, running Burnout test.

I am using Ultimate Boot CD

I'll try to paid more attention to the LED I haven't seen any anomalies however I haven't really been paying that much attention either.

1. Using a combination of the test (if it offers temperature) and an actual temperature probe inside the case to a DMM
2. Using the Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B, I also ordered the Kingston KVR16E11/8 but I haven't tested that one yet (was planning on returning that one if the crucial works)
3. I saw the bracket but no I didn't use it, I thought it was for a CPU cooler and since i was using the Noctua I didn't worry about it (I am not really sure what it is for if it doesn;t line up with the holes)

_Will_

Explorer
Thank you. When I finish my replacement build - I will use Ultimate Boot CD. Can you please elaborate on #1, temperature probe to DMM? What are you measuring, part numbers, etc. I'm totally a newbie - I'm sorry lol

Maturola

Explorer
Thank you. When I finish my replacement build - I will use Ultimate Boot CD. Can you please elaborate on #1, temperature probe to DMM? What are you measuring, part numbers, etc. I'm totally a newbie - I'm sorry lol

We are all newbies one way or another =)

I'm a hardware engineer so I got a full equipped Lab at home, that's the only reason I go full geeky on it LOL

I got a Temp probe kind of floating in the case to measure "ambient temp" inside the case.
I got 2 probes on the memory sticks (1 each)
I got 1 probe right underneath the CPU (other side of the mobo)
and the CPU temp I am monitors it using BIOS/IPMI

_Will_

Explorer
We are all newbies one way or another =)

I'm a hardware engineer so I got a full equipped Lab at home, that's the only reason I go full geeky on it LOL

I got a Temp probe kind of floating in the case to measure "ambient temp" inside the case.
I got 2 probes on the memory sticks (1 each)
I got 1 probe right underneath the CPU (other side of the mobo)
and the CPU temp I am monitors it using BIOS/IPMI

That is true. There's no way around it =)

Thanks, now I understand what you're doing. Wow, you're hardcore! On my next build, as long as I see similar CPU temps as you - that will be sufficient for me. More questions:

1. What is the ambient temperature of your lab?
  2. Were you performing a stress test when you saw 41 C?
  3. What is your BIOS CPU temp reading, running nothing but BIOS?

Maturola

Explorer
Haven't done CPU stress yet, I am running memtest86

1. Lab is usually between 22 and 24C
2. Memtest for now, I kind of set it up and leave it (i got a web cam looking at it), I am logging Min and Max on the PC
3. Not really sure, I don't think I even checked it but I can sure do that once I stop this test and before I start running the next, my plan was to run this until Sunday and start next week with CPU stress

Edit: I'll check the logs tonight and update with the temps, last time i checked was yesterday early evening (about 20, 22 hours into testing)

Last edited:

_Will_

Explorer
Haven't done CPU stress yet, I am running memtest86

1. Lab is usually between 22 and 24C
2. Memtest for now, I kind of set it up and leave it (i got a web cam looking at it), I am logging Min and Max on the PC
3. Not really sure, I don't think I even checked it but I can sure do that once I stop this test and before I start running the next, my plan was to run this until Sunday and start next week with CPU stress

Edit: I'll check the logs tonight and update with the temps, last time i checked was yesterday early evening (about 20, 22 hours into testing)

Okay, thanks so much. I'll lookout later for your temps.

Also, when you can - check your BIOS to make sure you have no event log errors.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have a very similar setup(see signature).

My idle CPU temps according to motherboard are usually around 42C. During transcoding I see temps rise as high as 73C. The highest fan speed I have seen is 2400RPM's. After I saw that fan speed my cpu temps droped down to 52C.

_Will_

Explorer
I have a very similar setup(see signature).

My idle CPU temps according to motherboard are usually around 42C. During transcoding I see temps rise as high as 73C. The highest fan speed I have seen is 2400RPM's. After I saw that fan speed my cpu temps droped down to 52C.

Thanks for your input.

When you say "idle" does that mean BIOS or running OS?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for your input.

When you say "idle" does that mean BIOS or running OS?
I'm running freenas and have been for 6 months or so.

_Will_

Explorer
quick update...

Running only the BIOS no OS, CPU temp is 38

Max temperature reach during memtest (so far) - 49

Ill let you know once I start doing the CPU stress test

Thanks a lot for the updated information.

I just finished packing up the components that I will be getting replacements for.

I'm hoping the next build goes smoother.

Yea, let me know about the CPU stress test! Good luck!

tromba

Dabbler
Hi there,
I just wanted to thank you guys for your posts and involvement on the forum. I'm building my own freenas server and had chosen hardware very similar to your own and your posts saved me the wondering if I'd gotten it right or if any of this would work. Just waiting on the mainboard now and then it's off to testing!
Thumbs UP!
Cheers
M

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium (R) G3440T @ 2.9GHz
CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Silvretta
RAM: Crucial 1600Mhz 16GB ECC (2x8GB) CT102472BD160B
Chassis: Fractal Design Node 304
HDDs: WD-Red - 6x3TB
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I
PSU: Cooler Master V450S 450W

_Will_

Explorer
quick update...

Running only the BIOS no OS, CPU temp is 38

Max temperature reach during memtest (so far) - 49

Ill let you know once I start doing the CPU stress test

So how did everything go with testing? Did Crucial RAM end up working well? What were the results of the stress testing, temperatures etc.?

tromba

Dabbler
I don't know if this helps, but I just finished badblocks (60 hours per drive!) and am now running a SMART long test. I ran stress tests before that for a couple of days and all my testing never pushed the cpu beyond 50 degrees, and it only reached that momentarily. Then again I have my case fans running at 7V and my cpu fan rigged for a more silent operation.

Maturola

Explorer
So how did everything go with testing? Did Crucial RAM end up working well? What were the results of the stress testing, temperatures etc.?

Everything went well, Crucial mem works without any issues.

Temps on the CPU reached 64C Max a couple of times. Most of the time the upper limit was around 58C.

tromba

Dabbler
Hello Maturola,
I was wondering how you managed to push your cpu to 64 degrees despite the noctua, what programs are you running and for how long?
I'll probably never see those temperatures due to my processor's lower tdp, but was curious nevertheless.

Cheers
M

Maturola

Explorer
Hello Maturola,
I was wondering how you managed to push your cpu to 64 degrees despite the noctua, what programs are you running and for how long?
I'll probably never see those temperatures due to my processor's lower tdp, but was curious nevertheless.

Cheers
M
I'm using Ultimate Live CD and I was running CPU Stress test.

Temp stay mostly at 57, 58, however on the log I found 2 instances where it reached 64C. Note that it could have very well be the room temperature increasing. I lived on Atlanta, GA and it had been hot lately. I got a smart thermostat and sometime when nobody is home I just set it to 78, 80ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.