/var/log/messages full of Plex error

cooter

Dabbler
Hello,

The /var/log/messages file is getting filled up by a specific Plex error. The error:

Code:
Dec 20 10:28:57 billnas kernel: pid 50364 (Plex Media Server), jid 16, uid 972: exited on signal 6

I am getting one every second or two, so my messages file is about useless....Any ideas what would be causing this? Plex is working fine.

The only thing that I do that may cause this is that I installed Plex as plugin, then I started updating it manually using pkg in the CLI.

Any ideas?

cooter

Dabbler
Anyone have any ideas? My logs are somewhat useless with these.

Alternatively, is there a way to exclude this specific error from the log file?

Edit 1: Using htop, I found a process that seems to be starting and stopping multiple times a minute, it is the top line highlighted in blue. It starts and stops within a second.
plexIssue.png

Edit 2: More messing around and I found in my rc.d I have two plexmediaserver_plexpass entries, one has a .pkgsave at the end. My guess is that one of those is the problem. Any idea how to determine which is the culprit?

plexIssue2.png

Edit 3: I compared both files and there are some differences.

Last edited:

cooter

Dabbler
After messing around a bit more, I moved the plexmediaserver_plexpass.pkgsave file from rc.d to another folder to test and restarted the service. After getting about 50 lines in my messages file, I have went about 5 minutes without a new message!

I think this is solved.

afrosheen

Cadet
Over a year later and still relevant, glad this was documented. Just ran into this after running the shell script updater. Launches fine after the upgrade, logs keep filling up with signal 6 exits. 2 files in that rc.d, the pkgsave version has to move, for some reason I think it tries to use both of them.