/var full when upgrading to 9.2.1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

norskman

Contributor
I am getting this error when upgrading from V9.2.1.6 to V9.2.1.7. The installation of course fails.
I have upgraded many times without problem so this was a surprise

I know there are numerous threads on this matter. I have looked at each one to glean some hope and learn to fix this myself. No luck thus far.

I did run:
df and got a 1% usage on /var which means low usage??
/dev shows 100%
/devfs shows 100%
/procfs shows 100%

I was not sure how to debug from here. Can anyone help.

I know you would like to see more data about my setup - I am not sure what is required, but happy to give it.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, for starters you shouldn't be upgrading to 9.2.1.6. The only version anyone on the 9.2.1.x series should be running is 9.2.1.7 because of the security vulnerability in Samba.

If you reboot then /var will be emptied and you should be able to upgrade then.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Optionally you can use the CD or ISO to upgrade.

norskman

Contributor
Rebooting did not fix the problem.

So do you mean I should burn or use a bootable USB and install from there? It won't wipe out my installation?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, I guarantee you that if you reboot /var is empty again. /var is a ramdrive and there's no way you will ever convince me it's not being fixed. Now it's possible its breaking again within an hour or two, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is fixed, even if only temporarily.

I mean exactly what I said. You should do an upgrade. It won't wipe out your installation, it'll upgrade it. If you do not understand this please see the FreeNAS documentation.

norskman

Contributor
I did do a single reboot and got the same error so decided to proceed to route 2 and burn a CD.

Ok, I did burn a CD and booted from that CD. The requirement for an upgrade was identified correctly and selected.

However it crashed - there was some sort of read error on my CD.
I rebooted as instructed.

I restarted the process

I now get an error
/etc/install.sh cannot open /tmp/data/conf/base/etc/version * = not a directory
/etc/install.sh cannot create /tmp/data/conf/base/etc/avatar.conf.76 Not a directory
The Freenas upgrade on da2 has failed
Press any key to continue

Now I am stuck. My system won't boot and I cannot upgrade either.

HELP!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are getting that error from your CD then either your CD is bad or the image you downloaded is corrupt. Did you verify it against its SHA256 checksum?

If that error is from your USB drive then I'd say your USB drive is bad, which may have been your problem all along.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's your hardware since you never did mention what hardware you are using...

norskman

Contributor
I am using an Intel motherboard - with a Sandisk microsdhc card 32GB as the main system disk. Then an MSATA for log disk and 4 X 3TB Seagate drives in a Z1
I have 24GB of RAM.
Intel motherboard has Intel network cards on board both 10/100/1000
Processor is an I5

The CD actually was dirty. I cleaned it.
But I get this error above. It won't boot to the old version - nor go forward to the new. I would be happy to roll back to 9.2.1.6 and then try the upgrade again.
How do I get round the error?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.... if you had told me that you were using a microsdhc I would have told you to get a real USB stick. All those USB converters out there don't work well for boot devices and they can cause random problems. It's in our hardware requirements section and it says not to use them. ;)

norskman

Contributor
What if I copy the memory card ot a usb stick.

Then boot from that. I ink the problem will still be there. my question is how to recover the situation, otherwise i am going to loose the contents of my z1.

Ouch......

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't copy the USB stick. You install the OS to the new media and then import your config file (just like the manual explains). Even if you had no config file you don't lose pools. You install FreeNAS on the new media and use the auto-import feature (again.. just like the manual explains).

I think you should give the manual a read. You're asking questions that were solved when the first versions of FreeNAS came out...

Status
Not open for further replies.