BUILD UXS Server 2U Supermicro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrene2083

Cadet
Good evening all,

I just snatched UXS Server 2U Supermicro 8 Bay Xeon Low Power 12 core FREENAS ZFS UNRAID JBOD off of ebay. I put in a bid and got it for the price I asked for. Now my question to you all, is all I really want this server for is to run as a Plex, or Emby server.

I have a Norco 4220 running Unraid, that has all my media files, but I think it's going bad as some of the bays are showing no disk, not sure if it's the backplane, you guys would know best.

I know this is only an 8 bay unit, but I figured I could throw some 8TB drives in there and should be good to go. This 'Ole Marine would appreciate any thoughts or advice you can give.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

kdragon75

Wizard
Looks like a solid base. Its inline with most of or recommendations. Be sure to run a memtest and CPU stress test on it for a day or two and once you get the drives, do the same on them.

gyrene2083

Cadet
Thank you kdragon, I appreciate your input and will be sure to run those tests on the memory, CPU and drives once I get them. Just curious, running the OS on an SSD < I have a spare 500gb > would be ideal correct? I am not familiar with this type of mobo, so I'm not sure if I will be able to do so. Any advice again would be most helpful.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah a lot people are moving to small SSDs from USB drives for reliability. sometimes it just comes down to sata/sas ports or space to mount the drives.

gyrene2083

Cadet
Thanks that just answered my question, just dump the OS on an SSD and connect it via USB. I appreciate all your help.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Stux

MVP
Umm. No. Connect the ssd to a motherboard SATA port. There is probably room inside the chassis to mount the ssd

Should work nicely, it’s about as old a system as would still be recommended

Last edited:

gyrene2083

Cadet
Umm. No. Connect the ssd to a motherboard SATA port. There is probably room inside the chassis to mount the ssd

Should work nicely, it’s about as old a system as would still be recommended

Thanks I misunderstood what was said before. I'll do that, thank you guys again for your time and patience.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Status
Not open for further replies.