Using SSH (or even Telnet) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
I can use the SHELL button in the Web App to get a shell in the minidlna_1 Jail, which is handy enough to do but is difficult to use (e.g. no Tab-completion, no scroll-back) and blocks off any further use of the Web App.

How can I enable using normal SSH or Telnet from my LAN, just like I do with the main FreeNAS shell?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, one way is to ssh into your FreeNAS box and use jls/jexec (instructions are in the manual).

Another way is to setup the SSH daemon in the jail itself. To do this you simply follow the typical procedure for setting up the daemon for the OS you are running. Whether using the linux jail or a FreeBSD jail, the process of setting up the SSH daemon is beyond the scope of this forum.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
use jls/jexec

Thanks!

As for setting up SSH daemon… I worry that any changes to the configuration of the jail's "machine" will either not save, or won't persist across boots. I suppose it's easier than the Real machine, but are there still things one needs to know about, so as not to fight with the host OS or the populating of stuff at boot or jail-start time?

Status
Not open for further replies.