Apps and their Shell

tre4B

Dabbler
Can anyone tell me what the Shell on the App menu actually gives you a shell into? As yet I have not found it to have any real use and I suspect it is because it gives access to the docker image and not the underlying App itself.

I have an app installed that I want to do something to, but instructions tell me I have to run certain shell commands to enable it first. There are no admin options on the App itself that can do the job, and also there is no option to enable SSH or anything.

I again tried the shell command but as I can find none of the app core files I think that this is pointless. How do I go about getting access the the actual instance of the app software in the "App" container?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can anyone tell me what the Shell on the App menu actually gives you a shell into?
The running container of that app (or one of the containers that you select during the connection process if it's a compound app made of many containers).

There are a lot of variables to consider here... which app, from which catalog, installed with what settings (maybe read-only system from TrueCharts is selected, for example).

Then you need to consider what you're actually doing... since containers aren't meant to be modified if they are used properly... all changing storage lives outside the container and is added a spersistent storage in some way, so maybe the things you want to do are actually able to be done to files already outside the container anyway.

tre4B

Dabbler
Thaks sretalla, I did figure out that there are multiples in here and one of those gave me the access I thought I needed but that does not seem to help.

I am just trying to stop NextCloud overriding the URL with the root IP address of the server. It seemed to be that the config.pnp was where to change that, but that did not work. I figured out the Environment variable OVERWRITEHOST could be set in the setup of the App and that should do it, but that is ignored too. As far as I can tell it is impossible to stop it doing this. Going into the console and checking the Environment variables shows that it either is not changed, or it is changed back.

A total mystery I cannot solve.

sretalla