Using FreeNAS as Vm Host for Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MExcel

Cadet
Hi FreeNAS Community,

I would like to mount a dataset directly to a hosted VM on FreeNAS 11 as I am backing up quite a lot of data from other machines over the network.

If I used NFS, for instance, I would be sending the large quantity of data twice over the network (once from the client to the VM and then again over the NFS mount of the FreeNAS).

The VM is Ubuntu16.04 VM and is hosted on FreeNAS11. The VM is a BackupPC server (which just uses rsync so nothing too fancy).

I would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions or solutions.

Thanks a lot.

My machine specs are:

Supermicro X10SLL-F with Dual Gigabit LAN
E3 1220 V3 Intel Quad-Core Xeon 3.1GHz 8Mb Cache 5GT/s 80Watts
4x 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 ECC CL11 DIMM with Thermal Sensor
LSI 9211-4i Host Bus Adaptor 4i (Non RAID)
6x 8TB Seagate Energy-Efficient High-Density Archive Hard Drive
10GbE Dual-Port RJ45 Server Adapter - Intel X540T2

danb35

Hall of Famer

Stux

MVP
The data won't be transmitted twice over the network. The internal transfer from FreeNAS to the FreeNAS hosted VM should never leave the machine.

MExcel

Cadet
The data won't be transmitted twice over the network. The internal transfer from FreeNAS to the FreeNAS hosted VM should never leave the machine.

I would have expected the network to be used if I mounted the FreeNAS storage with NFS using the server's IP. Is that not the case or is there another way?

Thomas102

Explorer
The point is data will pass through the bhyve virtual network adapter (tap), not your physical network adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.