Using 9.10 pool in FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBarker

Contributor
Currently running 9.10 with Plex, SABNZBD, Transmission, Couch Potato and Sickbeard. Have a pool consisting of 2 VDEVs each using 2 mirrored 6TB drives. System runs well but I am having some permission issues with deleting folders and accessing Plex on the local network. Before I start trouble shooting I was curious about the possibility of doing a fresh install of FreeNAS 11, reinstalling the plugins that I use most and then importing the pool back into the system when done.

Will the datasets on my current pool carry any configuration data that will make this a difficult task? I'd hate to go through these gyrations just to find out that some lingering config info in my pool would kink up a new install.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was curious about the possibility of doing a fresh install of Freenas 11, reinstalling the plugins that I use most and then importing the pool back into the system when done.
That sequence won't work, as your plugins are on your pool. So you'd need to import the pool, then set up the plugins again. If you set the jail path to something new in your configuration, you should be fine.

BBarker

Contributor
I forgot to mention that my plugins are in a separate pool using an SSD. Does this change anything?

So the proper sequence should be:

Detach the media volume from my current freenas system
Install FreeNAS 11
Import the pool
Reinstall jails and plugins and configure as necessary

danb35

Hall of Famer

BBarker

Contributor
In that case, you wouldn't need to import your storage pool before setting them up again. I'd still set a new jail root (http://doc.freenas.org/11/jails.html#jails-configuration)).

So the pool that has my media files has no configuaration data attached to those files?

Once FreeNAS 11 is installed, I can create a new volume on the ssd in essence destroying any current data, import the media pool and then start installing the jails and appropriate plugins.

BBarker

Contributor
So...it sees the my media pool but fails to import it:

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.1.10/storage/auto-import/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
39. response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
249. response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view
68. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch
237. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch
88. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post
300. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done
357. **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done
877. self.volume = notifier().volume_import(vol['label'], vol['id'], key, passphrase, enc_disks)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in volume_import
3132. 'for futher details check pool status') % volume_name)

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /storage/auto-import/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b'The volume "Boomer" failed to import, for futher details check pool status']

BBarker

Contributor
zpool import returns this:

root@freenas:~ # zpool import
pool: Boomer
id: 16123708565243600149
state: FAULTED
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-72
config:
Boomer FAULTED corrupted data
mirror-1 ONLINE
gptid/ae0e2404-948c-11e7-bdf0-d05099c0d1db ONLINE
gptid/ae7f5c22-948c-11e7-bdf0-d05099c0d1db ONLINE

danb35

Hall of Famer
The pool metadata is corrupted.
That's very bad. Probably fatal, in fact. What's the result of zpool import -F -f -n Boomer?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
zpool import returns this:

root@freenas:~ # zpool import
pool: Boomer
id: 16123708565243600149
state: FAULTED
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-72
config:
Boomer FAULTED corrupted data
mirror-1 ONLINE
gptid/ae0e2404-948c-11e7-bdf0-d05099c0d1db ONLINE
gptid/ae7f5c22-948c-11e7-bdf0-d05099c0d1db ONLINE
How long has your pool been failing? Do you have smartctl data for your drives.

BBarker

Contributor
How long has your pool been failing? Do you have smartctl data for your drives.

Apparently my multi tasking skills are declining.

At the time I was working on this I was smoking a brisket and making homemade mac-n-cheese (which turned out amazing), supervising a plumber fixing a broken pipe caused by hurricane Irma and taking my wife to the airport. So during the install instead of selecting the two USB flash drives for the boot device, I selected two of the four hard drives in my zpool and borked the whole thing. Fortunately I had all my important data backed up elsewhere and now find myself doing a completely new install all the way through.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.