9.2 to 11 - pool and dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kersus

Dabbler
I've been running 9.2.0 for a few years and for the second time have thought I'd like to upgrade. I tried the path through 9.2.1.9, 9.3, etc but didn't have a lot of luck. So I plugged in a FreeNAS 11 USB key.

FreeNAS-11.0-U4
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory 7874MB
System Time Wed Nov 29 14:09:51 EST 2017
Uptime 2:09PM up 39 mins, 0 users
Load Average 0.13, 0.13, 0.09

There are two internal HDDs, one is the data drive and the other has FreeNAS 9.2 on it. I know this isn't the best setup, but that's what I did years ago. I have a new system to use but swapping HDDs and booting with the 11 USB didn't work so here I am now just trying to understand some basic things.

So, SATA1 is 9.2.0; SATA2 is a 2TB data drive; USB is FreeNAS 11. I have uploaded the config from 9.2.0 to 11. It's rebooted many times.

I only use the NAS for two things, a backup drive for all the other computers (Windows, Mac, and Linux machines), and Plex Media Server (plugin).

So, here I am booting into FreeNAS 11 and PMS doesn't work and I have an alert

"WARNING: Nov. 29, 2017, 1:34 p.m. - No system pool configured, please configure one in Settings->System Dataset->Pool"

If I go there, the only option is "freenas-boot"

If I select this I get "The action will result in migration of dataset.
Some services will be restarted.
NOTE: This is just a warning, to perform the operation you must click Save."

So all of this is to ask; What will selecting that do? Is this the infamous upgrading of the ZFS where I can't go backwards? Could it cause a loss of data which currently is all still accessible? I've read up on it but I'm not sure I quite understand the situation I've created and how to safely move forward.

Should I tinker with 11 or just try to get the system to 9.10 for now? Really I just want a stable backup and to run my Plex Pass.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds to me like you were using UFS, not ZFS. What's the output of zpool status and zpool import?

What will selecting that do?
Create a .system dataset on the boot pool, which is generally not what you want.

Is this the infamous upgrading of the ZFS where I can't go backwards?
No, and you have been misinformed. ZFS is actually extremely backward-compatible if you don't enable and use all new features. For instance, if you don't use the new hashes introduced in FreeBSD 11, you can use the pool on FreeBSD 10.3 with no issues.

Could it cause a loss of data which currently is all still accessible?
No. How is it still accessible?

Should I tinker with 11 or just try to get the system to 9.10 for now?
It wouldn't help at all with your current problem.

Kersus

Dabbler
Code:
[root@NAME-MediaFN ~]# zpool status								   
  pool: freenas-boot															
 state: ONLINE																 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h8m with 0 errors on Wed Nov 29 03:53:52 2017	 
config:																		 

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								 
	   freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								
		 da0p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 

errors: No known data errors

Code:
[root@NAME-MediaFN ~]# zpool import											 
[root@NAME-MediaFN ~]#				 

I can access from the Mac through Finder and manipulate the files. I haven't tried through Windows or Linux since doing this. I can also 'connect to server' on the Mac (smb).

Kersus

Dabbler
Turning on the computer, it offers:
Code:
F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 Drive

F6 PXE

Left to itself, it auto selects
Code:
F2: #############

The # will just keep going. If I F11 into boot config prior to that screen, I can select the USB and away it goes. If I select the internal 9.2 and then hit F1 quickly, I can get it back to 9.2

It will not autoboot into either one, so each time it reboots now I have to go manually boot it into one or the other.

Code:
Hostname NAME-MediaFN.local Edit
Build FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory 7891MB
System Time Thu Nov 30 09:37:09 EST 2017
Uptime 9:37AM up 5 mins, 0 users
Load Average 0.06, 0.29, 0.19

Plex no longer works on 9.2 now as well. (Plex Pass) There are no alerts in 9.2 though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Plex no longer works on 9.2 now as well. (Plex Pass) There are no alerts in 9.2 though.
That's expected, you need to redo your jails because they're ancient.

Code:
F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 Drive

F6 PXE

Code:

The # will just keep going. If I F11 into boot config prior to that screen, I can select the USB and away it goes. If I select the internal 9.2 and then hit F1 quickly, I can get it back to 9.2

It will not autoboot into either one, so each time it reboots now I have to go manually boot it into one or the other.
What motherboard is this? That behavior is rather unusual.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Code:
F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 Drive

F6 PXE

Code:

This is the old FreeBSD MBR multi-boot loader. I suggest not upgrading this system, but backing it up. Then install FreeNAS 11 to a new boot device, preferably an SSD, create a pool, and import the data from the backup or even the original data drive.

Kersus

Dabbler
That's expected, you need to redo your jails because they're ancient.
Will that cause us to lose our place in all the shows and such re Plex? Why did booting from a USB key kill the venerable jail? Is it simply better to install Plex directly in a jail or use the plugin? Is there a band-aid solution before I redo the system?

Unfortunately I don't have a backup drive big enough for the data on the FreeNAS, so (somewhat like wblock suggests) I'll snag one in a week or so, back it all up, create a new FreeNAS 11 on another box and see if I can then put all the data back in.... Sound like a decent plan or am I missing something important?

For whatever reason, if I put the drive in another box using the FreeNAS 11 USB key, it simply doesn't see the drive, which is where I sort of gave up due to time constraints and went back to 9.2.0 but now having plugged in 11 to the original machine, it broke what was working.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Will that cause us to lose our place in all the shows and such re Plex
Presumably, you can backup your Plex metadata and use it in a new install. You'll want to research such issues in the Jails and Plugins section.

Why did booting from a USB key kill the venerable jail?
It didn't. The newer version of FreeNAS did.

Kersus

Dabbler
It didn't. The newer version of FreeNAS did.
Right. FreeNAS 11 was the USB key, but I think I get your point. Booting into 11 instead of old reliable 9.2 caused the jail to crack and there isn't a way to fix it for either 11 or 9.2, just redo the whole system and hope the plex data is salvageable (in the midst of trying to get to the file if possible). Any point in keeping the FreeNAS config backup?

Really from reading my usage above, does FreeNAS even make sense for me?

I have tons of old computers lying about seeking either recycling or usage and I just need a place on the network for backups and pms. Nothing I will use is top of the line NAS. Everything connects via some crappy Buffalo DD-WRT router. It might be nice to use pms remotely, but it's not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.