User has access however Network has blocked access

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2NAS

Dabbler
Hi everyone,
I have an odd problem that I can't seem to resolve. I have an error when trying to access content on my freenas. "We can't get to this file because Network has blocked access to it. Check with Network for more info." I've searched for the issue on the forum but didn't find any relevant postings. Feel free to steer me in the right direction if necessary.

What I'm doing:
I've set up a share that requires a user have permission to access a folder with photos. My personal user account has access to everything on the FreeNas. Logged in, as my user, I can access the folder with photos. The interesting thing is that all of the photos do not provide a thumbnail. See photo:

Ir5YsEE
Ir5YsEE.png

Further, those photos without a thumb nail give an error message when I try and open them. See photo:

VH2vWsA.png

What has gone wrong with my permissions? Has anyone ever had this issue before?

Thanks
New2Nas

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a clue.. but I will say this. Thumbnail generation have been a source of pain for Windows since they were created. Windows does a lot of very dirty things in the background to make those work and it non-obvious how they do them and stuff. Windows used to lock lots of files all at once, but instead of loading the thumbnails consecutively, it does it sequentially. Presumably because the thumbnail generator is single threaded(thank god).

So it could be a situation where Windows has caused Samba to lock stuff out because of Window's behavior.

I hate Windows and I'm glad I'm moving to linux where there's more sanity.

I will say I have a Win7 machine and never had that problem. You might want to check the permissions on the files and see if they are even correct. Permissions threads get very little love around here because everyone has permissions problems and there's literally dozens of ways to screw it up, and very few ways to get it right. So troubleshooting it requires you to know what you are doing and is non-trivial in a forum setting for that reason.

Knowltey

Patron
Use Task Manager to kill explorer.exe and try again, that's what I have to do when it stops generating thumbnails for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.