User create password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fillmore

Dabbler
I have setup personal user name, password and dataset for a employee.

I would like to do the following
1) Have the user create his own password, admin be able to reset it. ( I could have the user type in the password.
2) access to dataset by user only, this include the admin. For admin to access the dataset, the admin would have to reset the password. This is a problem, since I could access using groups.

any help,

P.S. please make you comment very simple, I do not know unix or only basic Freenas.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have setup personal user name, password and dataset for a employee.

I would like to do the following
1) Have the user create his own password, admin be able to reset it. ( I could have the user type in the password.
2) access to dataset by user only, this include the admin. For admin to access the dataset, the admin would have to reset the password. This is a problem, since I could access using groups.

any help,

P.S. please make you comment very simple, I do not know unix or only basic Freenas.

Thanks

1) Sit at the user's workstation, bring up the webgui, and have him/her type in the new password. Don't give out the password for the webgui. Windows has no native tools to manage samba passwords (unless you set up an AD domain, and based on your level of experience I don't recommend going down that rabbit-hole).

2) What do you mean by "admin"? If you mean "someone with access to the webgui to administer the FreeNAS server", then you are asking for something impossible. That's why you hire people you trust, and you don't give out root access at the drop of the hat (even if it is convenient).

To expand on (2): suppose you have two groups "Users" and "Accounting", and two corresponding shares "Users" and "Accounting". Bob, your lowly admin, is given a user account "Bob" and is a member of "Users". Bob is also the admin for your FreeNAS server.
If Bob decides that he really wants access to "Accounting", he can do either of the following a) add himself to the "Accounting" group or b) access the "Accounting" share from the command line as root.

Status
Not open for further replies.